[eccr] Fwd: The Spectacle of the Real, conference

Tue Nov 12 09:33:47 GMT 2002

>Hi all
>Details below of conference at Brunel University in January.
>cheers
>geoff king
>

>The Spectacle of the Real: From Hollywood to 'Reality' TV and Beyond
>
>Brunel University 25-26 January 2003
>
>Keynote speakers:
>
>Douglas Kellner, UCLA
>
>Jay David Bolter, Georgia Institute of Technology
>
>Conference Fees
>
>£95 for both days (students £65)
>
>£50 for one day (students £35)
>
>Programme
>
>SATURDAY 25 January
>
>Registration/coffee, 9-10
>
>Keynote, 10 -11
>
>Douglas Kellner, UCLA, '9-11, Terror War and Media Spectacle: Welcome to
>the New
>Orwellian World'
>
>Coffee
>
>Session 1: Spectacle, Ideology, Catastrophe 11.30 -1.15
>
>Eugene Arva, University of Miami, 'Life as Show Time: Aesthetic Images and
>Ideological Spectacles'
>
>Lee Rodney, Goldsmiths, London, 'Real-time, Catastrophe, Spectacle:
>Reality as
>Fantasy in Live Media'
>
>Geoff King, Brunel University, '"Just Like a Movie?": 9-11 and Hollywood
>Spectacle'
>
>Dean Lockwood, University of Lincoln, 'Teratology of the Spectacle'
>
>Lunch, 1.15 -2.15
>
>Session 2: Reality/TV, 2.15-4.00
>
>Christine Fanthome, 'The Unrealities of Reality TV'
>
>Amy West, University of Aukland, 'The Low-Tech Reality Effect and 'Visual
>Ordinariness'
>
>Misha Kavka, University of Aukland, 'Reality Matters; or, How I Learned to
>love Reality TV'
>
>Annette Hill, University of Westminster, 'Real TV; Audience Resonses to
>Factual Entertainment'
>
>Tea/coffee
>
>Session 3: Reality TV/Documentary, 4.30-6.00
>
>Strand 1
>
>Deborah Jermyn, Southampton Institute,'"It's the most dramatic thing you
>can have":
>CCTV and the spectacle of actuality in television crime appeal programming'
>
>Leon Hunt, Brunel University, 'Hell-in-a-Cell and Other Stories: Violence and
>Authenticity in 'Hardcore' Wrestling'
>
>Bernadette Flynn, Griffith University, Brisbane, 'Docobriocalage in the
>age of simulation'
>
>Strand 2
>
>Tanya Horeck, Anglia Polytechnic University,'Public Rape: Raw Deal: A
>Question of Consent'
>
>Frances Bonner, University of Queensland, '"Looking Inside": Showing
>Operations on Medical Television'
>
>Karen Scott, National Museum of Photography, Film & Television,
>Bradford,'The Spectacle
>of "the Past": Contemporary documentary and the role of new technology'
>
>Drinks/Food
>
>SUNDAY 26 January
>
>Coffee, 9-9.30
>
>Session 4, 9.30-11.00
>
>Strand 1: Emotions/Trauma

> [...]

Carpentier Nico
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.04
Pleinlaan 2 - B-1050 Brussels
W1: http://www.vub.ac.be/SCOM/smit