[eccr] Call for papers -- LEISURE AND VISUAL CULTURE

Tue Oct 01 12:21:33 GMT 2002

>Call for Papers
>The annual conference of the Leisure Studies Association will be held at
>Roehampton University of Surrey on July 8 - 10 2003.
>The theme of the conference will be Leisure and Visual Culture.
>LSA 2003 -- LEISURE AND VISUAL CULTURE offers a timely response to issues
>raised by the burgeoning scholarship and activity within the realm of
>leisure and visual culture.
>We invite papers from a range of perspectives and disciplines that address
>the politics, management and consumption of past and present leisure scapes.
>Is leisure a state of being or a state of seeing? Reflecting on the
>flaneur, the architects of leisure spaces, the producers and consumers of
>mass culture, the logo-laden sports performer, the increasing interplay of
>technology and games, the armchair cultural critic - leisure as visual
>culture conflates the material and the symbolic.
>Is visual culture the leisure culture of the (post)modern world? What is
>'postmodern' about the Tate Modern? Dreamscapes and landscapes pervade our
>experience of leisure. How do we respond to the bombardment of images in
>the production of mega-events? Does "live" sport exist? Are our social
>worlds inevitably mapped by televisual and cinematic representations?
>CONFERENCE THEMES:Space, place and leisureCityscapes and
>dreamscapesBranding sport and leisureTourism, heritage and the cultural
>industriesMediasportSport, leisure and aestheticsMass media as
>leisureTechnology and play
>
>Voyeurism: seeing bodies, seeing pleasure
>{PRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=asterisk"}Researchers, theorists and practitioners
>are invited to submit an abstract of 300~400 words and a biographical
>description of 100~150 words. To be submitted according to {HYPERLINK
>"Guidelines.html"}guidelines not later than January 20, 2003.

Carpentier Nico
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.04
Pleinlaan 2 - B-1050 Brussels
W1: http://www.vub.ac.be/SCOM/smit