Archive for calls, September 2002

[eccr] BORDER CROSSINGS: Annual AMPE Conference: 15 - 16 November

Mon Sep 30 16:23:48 GMT 2002

--

BORDER CROSSINGS
Media Practice in the Age of Convergence

Introduction

We live in an age in which the boundaries between countries, communities,
nationalities and social identities are, on the one hand, blurring and,
while on the other, being fiercely contested and defended. Within the
media, the impetus is towards convergence both in technology and in
ownership. The conference seeks to explore the implications of these trends
for media practice educators and for their students.
The conference will examine four main aspects of the theme and other
topical areas

Theme One
Globalisation: flows in information/representations, people, technical
know-how, and educational practices; from elite's to citizens, from the
powerful to the powerless; with implications for identity, community,
nationhood and the developing world.

Theme Two
Casualisation of the Media Industries: career structures, continuing
education; education versus training, public and private ownership,
graduate employment, implications for teaching and the student experience,
accreditation of courses, new blood, ossification, defining and challenging
mythologies.

Theme Three
Vocationalism/Aspirations: relations between Higher/Further Education and
the media industries; who designs, owns, controls programmes of study? What
are they for? Implications for diversity of programmes and approaches,
relationships between the student/the education provider and the industries.

Theme Four
Media Form and Content: skills old and new/ human and technological;
convergence and its implications for diversity in form and content; the
omission of content/creativity in debates about the media, time and space
for alternatives and experiments, debates around research, theory and
practice...