Archive for calls, August 2002

[eccr] Call for Manuscripts: Heroes in a Global World

Sat Aug 24 00:20:26 GMT 2002

Title: Call for Manuscripts: Heroes in a Global World

Heroes in a Global World

Call for Papers

           Manuscripts are being sought for an edited volume examining heroes and celebrities in a media age. We hear a great deal about heroes these days. In the shock of the events of September 11th, we have witnessed an upsurge in the need for heroes, the search for heroes, the redefinition of the heroic. All cultures have heroes, but the hero and the heroic vary from culture to culture and from time to time. What constitutes the heroic and who becomes the hero is a function of cultural priorities and values, and, most significantly, is related to the communication medium utilized for presenting and preserving information about heroes. Heroes, leaders and the famous have always fascinated the public but a permeable divider has replaced the wall between public acts and private life. The boundary between public and private is blurred, as the private lives of public figures are served up for popular consumption. Twentieth century mass media have made available an unending stream of celebrities who some argue, have supplanted the hero, at least that is what some critics argue. Simultaneously we have moved into an ever more connected and globalized environment capable of altering cultures and therefore, the phenomenon of hero.

           Heroes in a Global World, will be published by Hampton Press. Please contact Susan Drucker and Gary Gumpert at: (listra /at/ optoline.net).

Best Regards,
Gary
Gary Gumpert

Professor Emeritus