[Commlist] Research process seminar series

Tue Oct 10 08:56:33 GMT 2023

You are warmly welcomed to this semester’s series of online research process seminars, held by the Faculty of Media and Communication at Bournemouth University.

The purpose of this research seminar series is different to your typical research seminar and conference presentation. Instead of presenting the results and outcomes of research, we want to share good practices around the /process/ of doing research. This might often involve a focus on research methods but it also includes aspects of publishing, writing, time management, career management etc. The idea here is that the speaker takes us through the anatomy of the project or approach focussing particularly on the process - the challenges, the successes, and the failures. For the audience, we walk away with a practical application of a method or approach we may not be familiar with or may not have applied in this way before. Our ambition is to make us all better researchers as a result.

The first event is:/Excavating Meme Meanings and Coded Dogwhistles: Research methods to make sense of the chaos of digital media/

What if we look at digital media research like geology? Can we “dig” like archaeologists into the many layers of data strata, situating our findings in the context of the moment the media was created? In this seminar, I’ll discuss a process for creatively misusing media archaeology theory with mixed methods that integrate site-specific locative research and Roy Rozenweig’s method of preserving, presenting, and understanding history. If you are working on digital media research, specifically internet culture, a mixed methodological approach works well when excavating the deeper meanings - and nuanced references - that are embedded in digital culture artefacts like memes, propaganda, and far-right messaging. You’ll learn how to make sense of the chaos in the machine and discuss it publicly and professionally.

Speaker bio:
Jamie Cohen is an educator, writer, speaker, and digital media producer focusing on civic media and internet literacies. He is an assistant professor of Media Studies at CUNY Queens College and holds a PhD in Cultural and Media Studies from Stony Brook University and specializes in memes and digital culture. He is also the Head of Education for Digital Void, an internet literacies collective that bridges the gap between digital life and everyday culture. Formerly, Jamie founded a higher education internet studies degree and led teams of students in immersive digital production design projects in Rome, Italy. Jamie teaches Advertising, Social Media, Digital Activism and Media Studies.

Tuesday October 17th 2023
2pm to 3pm
Please register here to receive a Zoom link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/excavating-meme-meanings-and-coded-dogwhistles-tickets-732658510327?aff=oddtdtcreator <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/excavating-meme-meanings-and-coded-dogwhistles-tickets-732658510327?aff=oddtdtcreator>

Future events this semester:

Oct 31st at 2pm. How to turn research into new: From academic findings to media sound bites
Anna Feigenbaum, Bournemouth University

14th November at 2pm. Mapping Equity in Media Literacy Research Processes
Paul Mihailidis (Emerson College) & Bobbie Foster (University of Arkansas)

28th November at 2pm. Automated text analysis: Utilizing big data approaches to understand large amounts of content
Hong Vu, University of Kansas

12th December at 2pm. Evaluating Media Literacy with a Theory of Change
Julian McDougall, Bournemouth University