[Commlist] Ph.D. position @Erasmus University Rotterdam, Dept. of Media and Communication

Mon Oct 09 10:31:54 GMT 2023

We are hiring a Ph.D. candidate, for an innovative study on (mis)trust in scientific experts/trustless communication.

Position at Erasmus University Rotterdam, Dept. of Media and Communication.

Details can be found below and applications should be sent through this link: https://www.eur.nl/en/vacancies/phd-position-10-fte-digitalization-and-responsible-business <https://www.eur.nl/en/vacancies/phd-position-10-fte-digitalization-and-responsible-business>

Deadline for applications: Tuesday 31 Oct 2023

Feel free to contact me with questions: (Barnoy /at/ eshcc.eur.nl) <mailto:(Barnoy /at/ eshcc.eur.nl)>

*_Full description:_*
The Erasmus School of History, Culture, and Communication (ESHCC) at Erasmus University Rotterdam is excited to offer a challenging and innovative PhD position addressing a pressing issue in today's world. In the wake of the post-Covid era, medical experts find themselves grappling with high levels of suspicion fuelled by misinformation and personal attacks. While scepticism is often a desirable approach, unchecked cynicism and unwarranted reluctance to adhere to medical advice can jeopardize the lives of individuals, especially those in vulnerable populations. To address this critical concern, our interdisciplinary research project seeks to develop a groundbreaking theoretical framework: “Trustless communication.” This framework will be crafted through a careful examination of trust issues, drawing inspiration from both the concept of trustless technology and critical philosophical perspectives on trust. Join us in this exciting endeavor to reshape the future of relations between medical expertise and the publics, through innovative research and interdisciplinary collaboration. This PhD position offers the chance to be at the forefront of meaningful change in a rapidly evolving post-Covid world.

Job description

The successful candidate will be based at the Department of Media and Communication of the ESHCC and will carry out the following tasks:

Research (0.8 fte)

Conducting PhD research.
Publishing and presenting research results in the form of articles in international peer reviewed journals and papers at international conferences.
Writing a dissertation within the appointment duration of four years.
Taking part in seminars, workshops etc. that are organized by the Erasmus Research Institute for Media, Culture, History and Society (ERMeCHS) as well as the Department of Media and Communication.

Teaching (0.2 fte)
Performing junior teaching tasks in the BA degree programmes in the field Media and Communication provided by ESHCC, primarily through tutorial group teaching in the International Bachelor of Communication and Media (IBCoM).

Service
Contributing to small management tasks of the department.

Requirements

To be eligible, a candidate must have:

A (research) master’s degree or equivalent with a relevant specialization within the social sciences or humanities (such as media studies, communication, psychology, political science, behavioral science, philosophy and/or related disciplines). A research master’s degree is preferred.
Familiarity with and keen interest in mixed-methods research methods;
Independent thinking and critical analytical skills;
Good collaboration skills and an ability to join interdisciplinary and intercultural academic communities; Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (CEFR C1) and good oral and written communication skills in Dutch is preferred. Motivation to carry out high level research and publish in renowned peer reviewed international journals.

Conditions of employment

An internationally oriented and varied job in an enthusiastic team, with good working conditions in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU).

The start date of this position is 1 February 2024 and will run for a fixed term of 1.5 year initially, to be converted into a 4-year contract contingent upon a good performance.

The position is for 1.0 FTE. The salary ranges from a minimum of € 2.541 to a maximum of € 3.247 gross per month on a fulltime basis, in accordance with scale P of the CAO-NU. In addition, we offer an 8% holiday allowance, an end-of-year payment of 8.3%, and a very generous paid leave scheme. Furthermore, EUR is affiliated with ABP for the pension provision, and we offer partially paid parental leave, fully paid extended birth leave for partners, a personal career budget, work-life balance coaches, discounted collective health insurance, and more. As an employee, you can also use EUR facilities such as the University library and receive a discount on subscriptions for the Erasmus sports center.

Erasmus University Rotterdam offers a Dual Career Programme (DCP) to assist the life partners of new academic staff (on payroll) in finding employment in The Netherlands. The programme is offered in close cooperation with the nearby universities of Delft and Leiden.

Erasmus University Rotterdam aspires to be an equitable and inclusive community. We nurture an open culture, where everyone is supported to fulfil their full potential. We see inclusivity of talent as the basis of our successes, and the diversity of perspectives and people as a highly valued outcome. EUR provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, functional impairment, citizenship, or any other aspect which makes them unique. We look forward to welcoming you to our community.

Additional information

Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from:

Dr. Aviv Barnoy ((barnoy /at/ eshcc.eur.nl) <mailto:(barnoy /at/ eshcc.eur.nl)>)

Application

To apply, please send (1) your motivation letter of max. 1 page, (2) your resume including publication list (if applicable), (3) a brief research project idea of max. 300 words and (4) the names and contact details of two potential references (no letters of recommendation are required at this stage) before 31 October 2023  at AcademicTransfer. Please mention PhD position in Digitalization and Responsible Business as subject.

The selection committee will invite a small number of candidates for an (online) interview. Candidates may be asked to submit a more detailed research plan and/or give a presentation as part of the application procedure.

Apply through AcademicTransferOpens external

Employer

Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) is an internationally oriented university with a strong social orientation in its education and research, as expressed in our mission ‘Creating positive societal impact’. EUR is home to 3.700 academics and professionals and almost 33.000 students from more than 140 countries. Everything we do, we do under the credo The Erasmian Way – Making Minds Matter. We’re global citizens, connecting, entrepreneurial, open-minded, and socially involved. These Erasmian Values function as our internal compass and create EUR’s distinctive and recognizable profile. From these values, with a broad perspective and with an eye for diversity, different backgrounds and opinions, our employees work closely together to solve societal challenges from the dynamic and cosmopolitan city of Rotterdam. Thanks to the high quality and positive societal impact of our research and education, EUR can compete with the top European universities. www.eur.nl <http://www.eur.nl>.

Department

Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC)

The Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication (ESHCC) is part of Erasmus University Rotterdam. The school has three departments: History,  Arts and Culture and Media & Communication. There are approximately 2500 students and 220 employees.

ESHCC offers high quality education, based on scientific research, at the intersection of the Humanities and Social Sciences. We teach our ambitious, Dutch and international students in a stimulating learning environment. After graduation, they will have acquired the knowledge, insight and skills to make an important and inspiring contribution to an increasingly international society in which diversity plays a major role.

The ESHCC also has an ambitious research agenda. We want to strengthen our involvement in multidisciplinary research, expand the share of external funding in our total research funding and increase our social impact. ESHCC is working towards one research institute, the Erasmus Institute for Media, Culture, History and Society (ERMeCHS).