[Commlist] Call for Papers: Film, Fashion & Consumption Special Issue on 'Sanditon as Post-Heritage Drama'

Fri Aug 04 10:36:05 GMT 2023

Call for Papers: Film, Fashion & Consumption

Special Issue: ‘Sanditon as Post-Heritage Drama’

View the full call here>>

https://www.intellectbooks.com/film-fashion-consumption#call-for-papers <https://www.intellectbooks.com/film-fashion-consumption#call-for-papers>

The principal editor of Film, Fashion & Consumption, Pamela Church Gibson, has observed that the 'demand for period dramas in […] post-heritage form’ seems insatiable. It matches other recent comments on the fact that there is a rampant demand for screen productions in the romance genre, especially. I am therefore very pleased to announce a special issue of Film, Fashion & Consumptiondedicated to Andrew Davies’s TV-adaptation of Jane Austen’s manuscript fragment Sanditon (PBS 2019–23).

I suggest that contemporary, serialized post-heritage forms of period drama in particular adopt an alternative critical perspective on history that can be unpicked through a post-modern theoretical framework. Will Stanford Abbiss’s study of the already iconic TV series The Crown (Netflix 2016–) indicates five central guiding elements for a post-modern film analysis: interrogation, subversion, subjectivity, self-consciousness and ambiguity (Abbiss 2020). When applied, these elements help us pinpoint how the literary components of such period dramas can be adapted to also reflect contemporary culture, primarily by ‘letting the critiques of narrative dominate over the visual pleasures of [traditional] heritage’ (Abbiss 2020: 827). I have demonstrated how such a post-modern framework can be applied to Sanditon when I recently wrote about the costumes of one of its principal characters, Edith Denham (Ulfsdotter 2022).

Given the rich array of aspects that Andrew Davies’s adaptation proposes, scholarly topics of particular interest for our special issue on Sanditon would be:

  *

    screenplay; both Andrew Davies’s story line and individual episodes

  *

    conditions of production

  *

    comparative studies of Sanditon and other screen productions of
    Austen’s novels

  *

    iterations of contemporary discussions such as the Western history
    of slavery, feminism and law in Sanditon

  *

    critical reception

  *

    fandom perspectives

  *

      publicity material, such as trailers, behind the scenes imagery

  *

    generic shifts/treatments informing for example the relation between
    nostalgia and cultural heritage in Sanditon

  *

    Sanditon in relation to Will Abbiss’s suggested theoretical framework

  *

    costuming including hair and make-up

  *

    mise-en-scène

  *

    acting style

  *

    editing

  *

    locale in reference to images of heritage

  *

    actor selection

  *

    soundscape.

Send an article proposal of 300 words including a reference list of five key titles and 6-8 key words, together with a short bio to (Boel.ulfsdotter /at/ gu.se) <mailto:(Boel.ulfsdotter /at/ gu.se)> before October 2023. If accepted, your complete article of 6000–8000 words, including copy-cleared images, should be submitted by January 2024.

Acceptance notes will be sent out by December 2023. This Special Issue of Film, Fashion & Consumptionwill be published in 2025.

*Guest Editor:*

Boel Ulfsdotter

University of Gothenburg, Sweden