[Commlist] Assistant or Associate Professor of Communication, Media Studies

Sat Jul 29 20:40:13 GMT 2023

*The Department of Communication at North Carolina State University invites applications for two tenure-track faculty positions in Media Studies at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor beginning August 16, 2024.*

We seek candidates from a broad spectrum of critical, analytical, and methodological approaches. Specific areas of expertise may include, but are not limited to: infrastructure and platform studies, critical data studies (including algorithmic media, big-data analytics, and AI); mobilities and mobile media; game studies; media art; policy, ethics and political economy of media. We especially welcome applicants whose work speaks to the social and ethical implications of media technologies and discourses, for example: social and environmental justice, globalization and coloniality, health disparities, social and economic inequality, and/or inequalities based on race, gender or sexuality.

The successful candidate will have demonstrated pedagogical excellence in teaching and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students, ability to carry out independent and innovative research published in academic journals and other outlets and experience working with a variety of students. The successful candidate will be expected to seek internal and external research funding and develop collaborative initiatives.

Special attention will be given to candidates who can bridge different scholarly traditions and methodological approaches, contribute a diversity of perspectives (including from outside the Global North), and support both of our graduate programs–the PhD Program in Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media and MS program in Communication–through teaching and advising.

Tenured and tenure-track faculty members have a teaching load of 2/2, develop courses in their areas of expertise and contribute, through service, to the intellectual life of the Department, the College, the University and the field.

Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Communication or a related field by August 2024. The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications September 15, 2023. Questions may be directed to Search Committee Chair, Dr. Adriana De Souza e Silva, (aasilva /at/ ncsu.edu) <mailto:(aasilva /at/ ncsu.edu)>.

*Applications via the NC State University website:*
https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/187842 <https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/187842>
Posting #: PG192764EP

Please include:
• CV,
• cover letter, and
• contact information for at least 3 professional references.

*About the Department:*
The Department of Communication at NC State is an accomplished community of students, staff members, teachers and researchers with varied intellectual interests in the communication arts and sciences. Through our teaching, research and service, we cultivate responsible, caring and collaborative communication practices for our students, our community partners and the global citizenry. We do this because communication is central to addressing the significant challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century and we are committed to enabling people, organizations and communities to thrive. Our Department’s curricular domains include interpersonal communication; organizational communication; rhetoric; media studies; public relations; media production; and science, health, environment, and risk communication (SHER).

We serve approximately 600 undergraduate majors and 100 graduate students. Faculty also teach in the Department’s Master of Science in Communication program and in its interdisciplinary doctoral program in Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media (in partnership with the Department of English). The Department partners with NC State’s Poole College of Management to offer an online graduate certificate in Professional Communication and Managerial Skills and collaborates with multiple initiatives across the university. NC State promotes an integrated approach to problem solving that transforms lives and provides leadership for social, economic and technological development across North Carolina and around the world. NC State’s land grant mission of teaching, research and service is dedicated to the service of North Carolina and its people. Applicants are encouraged to review the institution’s mission, vision and strategic plan, and consider how their background, interest and experience would enable them to support the university. The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications September 15, 2023.

*About the University:*
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process are welcome to contact 919-515-3148 to speak with a representative at the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity.

If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or (workatncstate /at/ ncsu.edu) <mailto:(workatncstate /at/ ncsu.edu)>.

Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.

NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.