[Commlist] Call for chapter proposals for edited volume - Cities and Culture: Critically re-evaluating urban cultural policy frameworks

Thu Jun 29 21:29:44 GMT 2023

*Call for chapter proposals for edited volume*

*Cities and Culture: Critically re-evaluating urban cultural policy frameworks*

Cultural planning holds a central place in urban regeneration and urban re-profiling initiatives in cities around the world. Over the past 20 years, interest in the ways in which cities might be re-imagined and place-branded through specific creative and cultural identities and activities has increased exponentially. Urban policymakers have sought to find ways to leverage place-based cultural identities to drive a range of urban development, economic, heritage, and tourism initiatives. This is demonstrated, for example, through the wide enactment of a range of culturally focused urban development strategies (for example, Music City initiatives) and the development of a range of ‘creative’ and ‘cultural’ frameworks (for example, the UNESCO Creative Cities Network).

Given that creative cities policy frameworks are becoming increasingly prevalent on a global scale, and in light of long-standing critiques regarding economic determinism and the narrow understanding of ‘culture’ deployed in such frameworks, in this volume we seek to bring together contributions which offer critical re-evaluations grounded within diverse geographical contexts. Thematically, we welcome contributions which consider the following issues:

  * The city-specific impacts of creative and cultural cities frameworks
    and their capacity to support urban regeneration and social and
    economic development, for example the UNESCO Creative Cities
    Network, other international or national frameworks such as City of
    Culture awards, as well as localised initiatives.
  * City-specific cultural policies and regulatory frameworks which
    might support and/or inhibit particular forms of creative and
    cultural initiatives and activities, both in the short and long term.
  * Alternative strategies and methods for evaluating the success of
    creative city policies beyond economic determinism and shifting
    attitudes toward arts and culture as a social and cultural good.
  * Consideration of the ways in which creative and cultural city policy
    frameworks might be re-worked, re-imagined, or re-invigorated in
    order to provide more equitable forms of urban, social, and economic
    development in cities.
  * The capacity of arts and cultural activity to address local
    environmental issues and broader climate change and sustainability
    goals.
  * Critical evaluations of in-situ place activation and cultural
    engagement initiatives, and/ or activities with a particular
    consideration of their impact/s and how they fit within city-wide
    frameworks and policy initiatives.**

Providing accounts of a geographically diverse range of cities is a priority of this edited collection. Therefore, we are particularly interested in receiving submissions from scholars working outside of, or otherwise researching cities outside of, the global west; submissions on cities that are under-represented in the extant literature; and submissions from those who identify as belonging to marginalised and minority groups. **

Interested contributors should send the following to (citiesandculturebook /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(citiesandculturebook /at/ gmail.com)>by October 31, 2023:

  * A 250-300 word abstract which clearly outlines: the geographical
    location of the case study/ies to be examined, the policy/ies and/
    or initiatives to be examined and the approach to fieldwork and
    analysis (as appropriate). We appreciate your proposals may be
    speculative at this stage, however we ask for as much detail as
    you’re able to provide so we can make an informed decision on your
    proposed topic.
  * 100-word biography statement for all author/s.

We anticipate that full chapters will be of 5 – 6,000 words and due mid-2024, with the book expected to be published 2025. Details of the publisher to be provided in due course.