[Commlist] CFP: Extending Reality

Tue May 16 12:30:50 GMT 2023

*Call for papers*

*eXtending Reality:  Immersive Design, Production and Technology***

A one-day conference

University of Portsmouth, UK, Monday 11^th  September 2023

webimage-4EE9C5F3-FC12-46AD-A43EE8486271FA3D.jpg

eXtended Reality (XR) covers a wide range of technologies that blend virtual and physical worlds together using Augmented Reality (AR), Mixed Reality (MR) and Virtual Reality (VR) to create fully immersive experiences. Although often associated with Hollywood VFX and gaming, XR technology has a huge range of applications that cross disciplinary boundaries, including Advertising, Architecture, Creative Technologies, Graphic/Visual Design, and Film/Media/Animation Studies. The breadth and scale of XR’s application highlights a need to foster new inter and multidisciplinary ideas, in order that we might ask the profound questions we must ask about how we make our critical tools, concepts and networks ready for its widespread adoption.

This conference interrogates an emerging field of scholarly and professional interest, bringing practitioners and academics together to question what the influx of XR technology means for the future of the creative industries. It will be hosted by the University of Portsmouth, home to the CCIXR centre <https://www.port.ac.uk/research/research-centres-and-groups/ccixr>, containing a professional standard mo-cap studio, 3D photogrammetry suite, haptic immersive technologies and virtual production sound stage. This will allow the critical discussions that take place to sit alongside the very technologies we seek to analyse and showcase.

Potential topics include but are not limited to:

●Applications of XR technology (Work, Health, Education, Design, Entertainment, Communication/Collaboration, Manufacturing, Communities, Interaction, Heritage)

●User Experience of XR - how does it feel? What is its ‘affect’? How do we measure and evaluate the XR experience?

●The dimensions and aesthetics of interactive storytelling and art

●Virtual Production, Cinematography and Film/TV production cultures in the XR age

●The value, virtue and ethics of the Cyberspace/Metaverse

●Virtual Design and Architecture (and their links to traditional craft)

●The applications of Mo-Cap technology, and its link to questions of performance and authorship

●Photogrammetry & Scanning Studios, and questions of realism and indexicality

●3D, Volumetric capturing, and ontology in an age of sonic and visual immersion

●Processes of Creation - Disciplines, Stakeholders, Methods, Access/Diversity

●Questions of ‘visible’ and ‘invisible’ labour

●Visual Computing

●Game Studies (e.g. game art, game tech, game design)

●Animation/Digital Media Studies

●Immersive Audio and its impact on storytelling

.

Abstract proposals for 20-minute papers (400 words), and a short bio (200 words) should be sent to /(extendingrealityconference /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(extendingrealityconference /at/ gmail.com)>/ by the 1st June 2023. Proposals for pre-arranged panels will also be considered.

Abstracts will be reviewed by members of the conference organising committee from the UoP’s Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries (CCI), with decisions expected in mid-June 2023. Any questions can be directed to the email address provided above.