[Commlist] CfP: Special Issue on Data, Platforms, and AI for Development

Sun Apr 16 22:48:15 GMT 2023

We are delighted to invite submissions for a potential special issue proposal on "Data, Platforms, and AI for Development."This issue aims to explore how big data practices are reshaping the field of development and vice versa, by bridging critical research on critical data studies and development studies literature.

We welcome original contributions with a specific focus on the Majority World, addressing the entanglements between data, platforms, machine learning, and development. We are particularly interested in papers that discuss data, platforms and infrastructures, artificial intelligence, or any combination of these topics.

Key themes to be covered include:

 1.

      * Data governance and ownership
      * Data extraction and colonialism
      * Dataset production and labor
      * Data monopolies
      * Data sovereignty and justice
      * Data security and informational autonomy
 2.

    Platforms and infrastructures:

      * Platform capitalism and governance
      * Platform value chains/production networks
      * Platform labor and geographies
      * Rural-urban transformations
      * Platform cooperatives
 3.

    AI and cloud computing:

      * Regulating AI
      * AI, human rights, and ethics
      * AI, entrepreneurship, and innovation
      * AI and climate change
      * AI and decent work
      * Automation and labor markets
      * Political geographies and economies of cloud computing

The full call for papers and special issue description can be accesses here:https://tinyurl.com/DevelopmentCfP <https://tinyurl.com/DevelopmentCfP>

This call for abstract will not be for a publication that require authors to pay.

Important dates:

  * Abstract submissions (250 words) deadline:*Friday, 9th June 2023*
  * Notification of decisions:*Monday, 19th June 2023*
  * Extended abstract submissions (up to 1,500 words) due:*Tuesday, 22nd
    August 2023*
  * Virtual paper workshop:*Friday, 8th September 2023*

Please submit your abstracts to Mohammad Amir Anwar at [(mohammad.anwar /at/ ed.ac.uk)] by 9th June 2023. We especially encourage early career researchers to submit their work. Accepted participants will be invited to submit an extended abstract, which will be reviewed by two other attendees to facilitate in-depth discussions and feedback during the virtual workshop.