[Commlist] New book: Reading Bestsellers

Sun Apr 16 22:46:52 GMT 2023

We are pleased to share with you the publication details of our minigraph which is */free/* to download for a limited period of time.

/What do readers think about bestselling fiction?  How do influencers working within online book cultures understand their labour? Why do Gen Z readers prefer ethical connection within a postdigital mediascape?/

/
/

*Available to download for free 13-27 April 2023!*

Danielle Fuller & DeNel Rehberg Sedo /Reading Bestsellers: Recommendation Culture and the Multimodal Reader <https://www.cambridge.org/core/elements/abs/reading-bestsellers/8C6D9254C5B8C6DD87714DE3A98CEA77>/ (CUP Elements in Publishing and Book Culture, 2023).

DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108891042 <https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108891042>

/Also available via Cambridge Core. Print publication: 27 April 2023/

/
/

The analysis we offer in /Reading Bestsellers/ is the result of interdisciplinary research methods that combined traditional forms of investigation such as interviews with Bookstagrammers and BookTubers, and questionnaires with readers, with an innovative two-month asynchronous discussion with young adults across 5 continents inside a private Instagram space.The Element can thus be understood as a case study for media and cultural studies researchers as well as a snapshot-in-time of readers’ habits and practices. We believe that it is an accessible resource for undergraduate students in courses which engage with online recommendation cultures, transmedia practices, social media & influencers, and/or print media.

If you use it in your research or teaching let us know - we'd love to hear from you! ((dfuller /at/ ualberta.ca) <mailto:(dfuller /at/ ualberta.ca)>; (denel.rehbergsedo /at/ msvu.ca) <mailto:(denel.rehbergsedo /at/ msvu.ca)>)

Abstract:

Readers are essential agents in the production of bestsellers but bestsellers are not essential to readers’ leisure pursuits. The starting point in this Element is readers’ opinions about and their uses of bestselling fiction in English. Readers’ relationships with bestsellers bring into view their practices of book selection, and their navigation of book recommendation culture. Based on three years of original research (2019-2021), including a quantitative survey with readers, interviews with social media influencers, and qualitative work with international Gen Z readers in a private Instagram chat space, we highlight three core actions contemporary multimodal readers make– choosing, connecting, and responding– in a transmedia era where on- and offline media practices co-exist. The contemporary multimodal reader, or the MMR^3 , we argue, illustrates the pervasiveness of recommendation culture, reliance on trusted others, and an ethic of responsiveness.