[Commlist] impact of recommendation algorithms on music - a literature review

Thu Feb 23 08:42:15 GMT 2023

David Hesmondhalgh and three other researchers at the University of Leeds have just published a major literature review of///The Impact of Algorithmically Driven Recommendation Systems on Music Consumption and Production/. <https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/research-into-the-impact-of-streaming-services-algorithms-on-music-consumption/the-impact-of-algorithmically-driven-recommendation-systems-on-music-consumption-and-production-a-literature-review>

·We are David Hesmondhalgh, Raquel Campos Valverde, *D. Bondy Valdovinos Kaye and Zhongwei Li. *We hope it’ll be of interest to anyone interested in algorithmic recommendation, not just in the realm of music.

·The research was commissioned by the UK government’s Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation (CDEI). It was published as part of the UK government’s response to the UK House of Commons Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Select Committee’s critical report on /The Economics of Music Streaming/ <https://committees.parliament.uk/work/646/economics-of-music-streaming/publications/>.

*·**At around 25,000 words, the review is one of the most comprehensive discussions of cultural recommendation systems yet published. We’ve tried to consider perspectives from computer science and from critical science and humanities, to a greater degree than we’ve encountered in existing publications. ***

*·**All four of us work on MUSICSTREAM, a five-year project funded by a European Research Council Advanced Research Grant. More details can be found *here <https://musicstreamproject.com/>*. *

·The literature review was published alongside the CDEI’s report on /The Impact of Recommendation Algorithms on the UK Music Industry/ <https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/research-into-the-impact-of-streaming-services-algorithms-on-music-consumption/the-impact-of-algorithmically-driven-recommendation-systems-on-music-consumption-and-production-a-literature-review>, which makes considerable use of the MUSICSTREAM analysis.

*·**The CDEI has also made available *potentially helpful results <https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/research-into-the-impact-of-streaming-services-algorithms-on-music-consumption/the-impact-of-algorithmically-driven-recommendation-systems-on-music-consumption-and-production-a-literature-review>*from a) a survey of over 4000 UK adults about their music consumption practices and b) a survey of 102 UK music creators about their views of music streaming platforms and their recommendation systems.***

*·**We hope you find the literature review and the other material useful and interesting. We would of course welcome comments and constructive criticism. *