[Commlist] Visiting Assistant Professor in Media Studies at The University of Tulsa

Thu Feb 23 08:40:52 GMT 2023

The University of Tulsa invites applications for a one-year, non-tenure-track visiting faculty position in Media Studies. A PhD with teaching experience in media studies or a related field is required. The externally-funded position commences August 2023.

We seek a candidate able to conduct research and contribute to our core curriculum. The specialization is open. The Department of Media Studies encompasses media history, criticism, and theory, with an emphasis on American and transnational cultural, political, and social contexts.

We seek a candidate who brings their own field of teaching and research expertise that complements as well as expands beyond existing faculty strengths in critical advertising & popular culture, food media, global media, journalism, new & social media, political communication & economy, and screen cultures; we would also especially welcome scholar-teachers with research interests at the intersection of media studies and any of the following areas expertise in Journalism & Multimedia Nonfiction Storytelling, Sports Media, African American Culture, Data Criticism, Gaming, Indigeneity, Media Industries, Sexual & Reproductive Justice, and Sound Studies & Music, and many others. This list is illustrative rather than exhaustive, and we welcome innovative candidates who blend diverse forms of multimodal teaching with research, analysis, and advocacy.

Responsibilities include teaching core and elective courses in the undergraduate curriculum in Media Studies and, if possible, the general education curriculum across the campus. The successful candidate will be prepared to cover a core course each semester such as Media Inquiry (Research Methods), Media History, or Media Theories while also teaching special topic electives in the field of their expertise and conducting research. We also welcome those able to contribute to our cross-listing communities across campus with Cyber Security, English & Creative Writing, Film Studies, Global Scholars Program, History, Honors Program, Languages & Literatures, Political Science, Women’s & Gender Studies, and others. The teaching load is 5 courses, divided as either a 2/3 or 3/2.

The Department of Media Studies is part of the Henry Kendall College of Arts & Sciences, one of five colleges at The University of Tulsa (TU). Information about TU and the Henry Kendall College of Arts & Sciences programs may be found at* http://artsandsciences.utulsa.edu/* <http://artsandsciences.utulsa.edu/>.

Located at the intersections of the Ni-u-kon-ska (Osage), Mvskoke (Muscogee [Creek]), and Tsálăgĭ (Cherokee) Nation Reservations, Tulsa is one of the most livable and affordable cities in the United States with a metropolitan population of over one million. Its lively arts and culture scene includes three major museums (the Philbrook Museum of Art, the Sherwin Miller Museum of Jewish Art, and the Gilcrease Museum), a diverse music scene, and a thriving community. Researchers may be interested in the Bob Dylan Center and Archive, the Woody Guthrie Center, the Helmerich archives, Greenwood Rising (new museum commemorating the Tulsa Race Massacre), and active First Nation communities in the region as well as strong interdisciplinary connections across the Arts & Sciences as well as cyber studies and computer science on campus. Tulsa’s historic independent movie theater, Circle Cinema, frequently collaborates with TU and provides special screenings, industry panels, and student internships.

Review of applications will begin March 15, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit: a cover letter addressing the candidate’s qualifications and interest in the position, a statement of teaching philosophy, evidence of teaching effectiveness (teaching evaluations, if available), a current curriculum vitae, and contact information for 3 references online at *https://universitytulsa.peopleadmin.com* <https://universitytulsa.peopleadmin.com/>.

Email inquiries to Professor Mark Brewin, Search Committee Chair, at *(mark-brewin /at/ utulsa.edu)* <mailto:(mark-brewin /at/ utulsa.edu)>.