[Commlist] Summer Institute in Computational Social Science (SICSS)

Tue Feb 07 17:35:07 GMT 2023

from Monday, July 24 to Friday, August 04, 2023, the Summer Institute in Computational Social Science (SICSS) will host a partner location at the University of Munich.

The purpose of SICSS Munich is to bring together interested Master students, PhD students, postdoctoral students, and faculty in Germany. The Summer Institute is for both social scientists (broadly conceived) and data scientists (broadly conceived).

The instructional program will involve lectures and group problem sets in the first week and participant-led research projects in the second week. Participants will be able to work in teams to learn how to implement the material from the lectures. Covered topics include collecting digital trace data, automated text analysis, transparent and reproducible research, and research ethics. There will be ample opportunities for students to discuss their ideas and research with the organizers, other participants, and visiting speakers. One goal of this partner location is to build and expand the  network of computational social scientists in Germany.

We are inviting applications from Master (graduate) students, PhD students, postdoctoral researchers, and faculty. Participants are expected to fully attend and participate in the entire two-week program. Participants with less experience with social science research will be expected to complete additional readings in advance of the Institute, and participants with less coding experience will be expected to complete a set of online learning modules on the R programming language.

Participation in the summer institute is free of charge. We are currently seeking out for additional funding sources and might be able to cover some additional expenses for a small number of participants. However, please note that as of now, we are unable to provide funding for housing or related expenses.

Please visit our website for additional details about how to apply:
https://sicss.io/2023/munich/