[Commlist] CFP Film-Philosophy Conference

Fri Feb 03 22:21:54 GMT 2023

The next Film-Philosophy Conference will take place on campus at Chapman University, California, USA, 13-15 June 2023.

This year’s event will feature a special screening of Marlon Fuentes’s critically acclaimed film /Bontoc Eulogy/ (1995) followed by a Q&A with the filmmaker.

Keynote Speakers:

Akira Mizuta Lippit (University of Southern California)

Vivian Sobchack (University of Los Angeles, California)

Richard Rushton (Lancaster University)

We invite proposals for presentations on any subject related to film, media and philosophy.

Submit your 300 word proposal here: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fp2023 <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fp2023>*
*

*
*

There is no overall theme for the conference. We will instead use a “track” system that provides a number of broad headings to which a presenter may wish to attach their submission. There is, of course, an ‘open track’ if you feel that your paper does not fit within any of the other tracks. The tracks for 2023 are (in alphabetic order):

  * Affect and Emotion
  * Aesthetics
  * The Animal and the Non-Human
  * Documentary and Essay Films
  * Ecology
  * Emergent Film-Philosophies
  * Ethics
  * Existentialism
  * Expanded Cinema, Film Installation, Video Art
  * Feminist Film-Phenomenology
  * Film and Critical Race Theory
  * Film-Philosophy Canon
  * Indigeneity and Fourth Cinema
  * Intersectionality
  * New Materialism and Object-Oriented Ontology
  * New Media and Technologies
  * Open
  * Phenomenology
  * Political Film-Philosophy
  * Psychoanalysis (Classical and Contemporary)
  * Workshops

We are only accepting individual proposals for presentations of 20 minutes.

We are not accepting group proposals, except for workshops. We are open to workshops that have alternative and innovative formats that provoke discussion and debate. If you have any ideas for a workshop – in format or content – please contact the conference director before submitting an official abstract via the website.

Abstract proposals should be 200-300 words and are to be submitted by *14 February 2023*. All abstracts will be considered by at least two members of the conference committee and decisions will be announced in March 2023.

Please direct all enquiries regarding the conference to Kelli Fuery at: (kfuery /at/ chapman.edu), placing FP Conference 2023 in the subject line.