[Commlist] New Special Issue on Global Queer and Feminist Visual Activism

Mon Jan 09 18:20:33 GMT 2023

*New Special Issue on Global Queer and Feminist Visual Activism *

Colleagues working in the fields of visual political communication; social movements and media studies, digital media activism; and gender, sexuality or visual culture may be interested in a new special issue on *Global Queer and Feminist Visual Activism*, just published. It is Open Access andyou can read and download articles from the/Journal of Cultural Analysis and Social Change/website:

https://www.lectitopublishing.nl/journal-of-cultural-analysis-and-social-change/volume-7/issue-2 <https://www.lectitopublishing.nl/journal-of-cultural-analysis-and-social-change/volume-7/issue-2>

In the current context of gender backlash, forms of queer and feminist activism are increasingly important, and so too is the scholarship that engages with them. Queer and feminist visual activism has varied origins in different global contexts and has emerged in a fluid cultural field of visual arts, popular culture, and protest aesthetics. This special issue is interested in queer and feminist expression through images and their context of production, mediation and re-mediation. Across 12 articles we explore the aesthetics and performativity of visual activism, and the opportunities it affords social justice actors, with the aim to expand on existing scholarship both geographically and conceptually. The history of global feminist and queer activism has too often been dominated by Western perspectives. This special issue seeks to foreground activism from across the globe, to reflect the international perspectives and agendas increasingly central to contemporary queer and feminist activism. The articles address work from South Africa, China, Brazil, Lebanon,Cote d’Ivoire,the UK, and the United States. They engage with a range of diverse topics, including trans Instagrammers, feminist fibre art, queer Roma self-representation, queer /learning disability filmmaking, sexual health activism and sexual violence in the museum. Taking the notion of social practice as an integral part of the ‘process’ of visual activism, we identify three emerging themes across the articles in this special issue: refusal, care and thriving.

In our introduction,we engage with the richness of activist aesthetics at the intersections of popular culture, subculture, art and activism, and other forms of visual political communication, not by attempting to contain these manifestations, but by offering a set of navigational tools. We conceive of three primary forms of queer and feminist visual practice – protest, process and product – each with its own histories and epistemologies. Each of these forms offers the capacity for resistance and collaboration. By opening up cross- and inter-disciplinary perspectives, and conversations across diverse global contexts, struggles and possibilities, we aim to expand on existing scholarship both geographically and conceptually. A central motivation for this work has been to think beyond the image; to be able to capture and engage with the activist communities (and the activism) behind and alongside the image and produced through the image.

Feel free to share with students and your wider networks.

Olu Jenzen & Tessa Lewin, Guest Editors,/Journal of Cultural Analysis and Social Change/