[Commlist] TouchScreen @ CCA

Mon May 09 14:07:52 GMT 2022

*TouchScreen @ Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow*

*Friday 20^th and Saturday 21^st May 2022.*

**

Through a programme of exhibitions, screenings, artist talks, and workshops, *TouchScreen* explores and questions sense perception as our common ground for experiencing the world. By challenging the conventions of image making, we aim also to challenge sense making in its broadest cultural, philosophical and technological terms.

Drawing on innovative research underway at the University of Glasgow which brings together Arts and Quantum Technologies researchers with partners at Deafblind Scotland and Deafblind UK, *TouchScreen* asks: can our different experiences of touch and perception reshape audio-visual art practices? And, more broadly, what does this mean for how we connect with one another?

*FULL PROGRAMME*

*TouchScreen: Exhibition *

11:00 - 18:00, 18 - 21 May | CCA Creative Lab (Free, Unticketed)

Featuring works by Wolfgang Weileder and The Otolith Group, this exhibition plays with the interaction of time, space, and audio-visual practices, encouraging us to question our understanding – and acknowledge the complexities – of the environments we all navigate, be they built, natural or internal. Works-in-progress will also be featured by artists, researchers and participants of the University of Glasgow’s ongoing research project 'Touch Post-Covid19.' <https://touch-post-covid.gla.ac.uk/>

*The Unfathomability of it All with Andrew Kötting | Talk with Screenings*

17:30 - 20:00, Friday 20 May | CCA Cinema

An exploratory talk from the celebrated artist Andrew Kötting <http://www.andrewkotting.com/> which draws on over 20 years of artistic collaboration with his daughter, Eden, who was born with a rare neurological disorder, Joubert Syndrome. Illustrated by screenings from throughout their collaboration - including /Mapping Perception/, /This Our Still Life/, and /Diseased & Disorderly/ - Kötting will examine what their shared artistic process has revealed about the nature of perception.

*Against the Skin: Screening *

13:00 – 14:15, Saturday 21 May | CCA Theatre

An assemblage of short films which explore d/Deafness and blindness through various modes of social and historical perspectives. Different film techniques, perspectives, and narratives question how different sensory abilities are perceived, the nature of accessibility, and what it means to ‘fix’ another body.

*Touch and the Perception of Sensory Loss: Workshop *

15:30 – 17:30, Saturday 21 May | CCA Clubroom

What can sensory loss tell us about how we perceive ourselves and the world around us? How can the interaction between art and technology help us see differently? Join Deafblind Scotland’s Participation and Training Officer, John Whitfield, for an interactive workshop informed by the perceptive experiences and capacities of Scotland’s deafblind community.

*Touching Codes: Screening *

18:30 – 20:30, Saturday 21 May | CCA Cinema

How has technology altered our perception and sensory encounters of the world? From camera lenses to hand painted animation techniques, these experimental films obscure perception and provoke a state of memory and dream. It is an enquiry on how digital codes can touch our imagination.

*TouchScreen is co-hosted by the School of Culture & Creative Arts at the University of Glasgow, in partnership with the School of Physics & Astronomy, Deafblind Scotland, LUX Scotland and the Centre for Contemporary Arts. The programme is informed by the **‘Touch Post-Covid 19’* <https://touch-post-covid.gla.ac.uk/>* research project, funded by the Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) as part of UKRI’s Covid-19 funding.*

Curated by Azadeh Emadi and David Upton, with support from Charlotte Little.

Register for tickets here:https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/touchscreen-rethinking-perception-through-sight-and-skin-tickets-293052326397 <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/touchscreen-rethinking-perception-through-sight-and-skin-tickets-293052326397>

__