[Commlist] Job: Assistant / Associate Professor in Digital Communication Science (Tenure Track) at Wageningen University/NL

Tue Feb 22 10:53:44 GMT 2022

# # # # # #
Job posting: Assistant/Associate Professor in Digital Communication Science (Tenure Track) at Wageningen University in The Netherlands

The Strategic Communication (COM) group is looking for a hardworking and ambitious assistant/associate professor in Communication science with a focus on or interest in life science. In this position, you are responsible for the coordination, organization, and implementation of new research activities on the application of innovative approaches of computational social sciences in communication research. We expect you to generate external financial support for an innovative research agenda. You are interested in (global) challenges in life science domains (e.g., health, climate change, and sustainable consumption). As our new colleague, you will critically explore and contribute to the understanding of how data-driven approaches in digital communication contexts can impact and contribute to broader individual and collective shifts in these life science domains. This includes, but is not limited to:

- studying communication in online media, especially with regard to understanding digital communication mechanisms, processes of polarization and/or the presence and effects of mis- and disinformation; - computational data collections and analysis to study a digital media environment; - evaluating the reach, content, and impact of digital communication campaigns in life science contexts.

You are an ambitious scientist and a standout colleague, dedicated to research and education within our broad field of expertise. To further strengthen our group, you:

- hold a PhD in a relevant social science field- or discipline (e.g., communication science, (social) psychology, sociology, political science, anthropology, etc.); - are an inspiring teacher and student supervisor with enthusiasm for teaching and working with students in an international setting; - have experience with communication research on online media, including new or social media; and have a proven track record in using innovative methods, in particular, computational approaches such as automated content analysis or digital tracing;
- have a strong international and interdisciplinary orientation;
- have an excellent publication record relative to your stage of career;
- possess the capacity or potential of acquiring, leading, and managing externally-funded research projects; - are committed to achieving societal impact in relation to important social challenges; - enjoy working together with your colleagues and possess good management skills; - adhere (or have a willingness to adhere) to the principles of Open Science.

This position requires excellent English language proficiency (a minimum of CEFR C2 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page.

The Tenure Track career path starts at the level of assistant professor, from which you can grow into an associate professor and furthermore grow to personal professor position. Depending on your experience and track record, you can enter at various levels.

Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and paid parental leave;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance; - the option to accrue additional holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week; - there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.

In addition to these first-rate employee benefits, you will be offered a fixed-term, 7 year contract which, upon positive evaluation based on criteria elaborated in the University's Tenure Track policy, can lead to a permanent employment contract as professor. Your salary will depend on expertise and experience and the maximum gross salary for Assistant Professors is €5.826,- per month and for Associate Professors the salary can grow up to €6.940,- per month. Both based on a full working week of 38 hours in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreements for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU).

This vacancy will be listed up to and including Monday March 28, 2022. We hope to schedule the first job interviews on Wednesday April 6 and/or Friday April 8.
We would like to receive your online application with:

- letter of motivation;
- curriculum vitae;
- and your research vision on computational and digital communication science in a life science context (max 1 A4). You can upload this in the same file as your curriculum vitae.

The full job description + link to apply can be found here: https://www.wur.nl/en/vacancy/Assistant-Associate-Professor-in-Digital-Communication-Science-Tenure-Track.htm

For more information about this position, please contact dr. Marijn Poortvliet ((marijn.poortvliet /at/ wur.nl)) or dr. Bob Mulder ((bob.mulder /at/ wur.nl)). For more information about the procedure, please contact Bianca Aversteeg, Recruitment support via (recruitment.ssg /at/ wur.nl).