Archive for October 2022

[Commlist] CFP: CKC2023: New Futures for Creative Economies

Tue Oct 04 21:31:48 GMT 2022

FINAL CALL FOR PROPOSALS

*CKC2023: New Futures for Creative Economies*

29th - 30th March 2023 Watershed, Bristol

DEADLINE SUNDAY 9TH OCTOBER

Hosted by Creative Economies Lab <https://creativeeconomies.co.uk/> (UWE Bristol) and Inclusive Economy Initiative <https://www.bristol.ac.uk/temple-quarter-campus/research-teaching-and-partnerships/inclusive-economy-initiative/> (University of Bristol). Supported by MyWorld <https://www.myworld-creates.com/>.
Deadline for proposals: end of *Sunday 9th October 2022*

Creativity, Knowledge, Cities (CKC) 2023 is dedicated to making visible different ways of ‘doing’ the creative economy. The conference aims to draw on the experiences, narratives, research, thinking, and stories of academics, makers, activists, and thinkers to imagine an alternative to our current model of creative work. Can we make an economy that is greener, more democratic and more inclusive?  We believe that conventional assumptions regarding the value of ‘culture’, ‘creativity’, ‘digital’ and ‘innovation’ are limiting our possibilities to think and imagine progressive alternatives to late-stage capitalism. Further, we see a tendency to neglect the particularities and peculiarities of work within the creative economy which blinds us “to the multiplicity of seemingly ‘unimportant’, mundane, practical, affective and relational considerations - of community, kinship and neighbourhood—that underpin creative work” (Banks 2006).

Inspired by the work of geographers JK Gibson-Graham, CKC 2023 will try to help “create new discourses and counter-technologies of economy” and look to build alliances of inter-place solidarity, “bringing to the fore ways to make other worlds possible” and make “credible those diverse practices that satisfy needs, regulate consumption, generate surplus, and maintain and expand the commons” (2008, p.11).

The dominant ideology counts the creative and cultural sector’s success only in economic terms, and rarely confronts its persistent consequences - including labour precarity, economic exclusion, gentrification, uneven regional development and negative health and well-being. Can concepts such as ‘inclusive growth’, ‘sustainable development’, ‘smart cities’, ‘urban commons’ and ‘just city’ offer us a way beyond these problems? What happens when we think beyond the boundaries of the creative city, the cluster, the innovation network, or the regional hub?

We’re seeking research, examples, stories, and new imaginaries concerning the global cultural and creative networks that are already producing an alternative future for the creative economy. These might be represented in business structures such as co-ops and mutuals, alternative metrics for measuring regional and business-level success, or radical approaches to ‘doing’ the economy. They might draw on emerging debates about diverse economies, post-growth, or post-capitalism, or ideas around economies of care, the commons, new civics, urban repair, playful politics and experiments in prefiguring just, inclusive and sustainable futures.

We invite proposals from scholars and activists including practice-based researchers and non-university research organisations, third sector and industry, from diverse personal and professional backgrounds, especially voices underrepresented in the current debate. Proposals can be for organised panels, individual papers, roundtables, or interactive workshops around the following themes:

  * Plural practices and values beyond capital
  * Labour, ownership and justice
  * Postcolonial or decolonialising readings of creative economies
  * Diverse business entities – CICs, Cooperatives, B-Corps
  * Distributed and democratic organisational forms
  * Creative citizenship and cultural activism
  * Alternative ways of measuring cultural value
  * Hybrid spaces of open innovation
  * Creative forms of commoning
  * Circular, green and sustainable forms of production/creation
  * Theoretical frameworks and visual models for making alternatives
    visible
  * Explorations of scaling alternatives, collaborative and inter-place
    practices
  * Examples from other contexts and how it translates to cultural and
    creative industries
  * Micro-social and micro-political analyses of creative alternatives
  * Creative technologies that contest existing versions of the creative
    economy

Please download the full proposal guidelines from https://creativeeconomies.co.uk/ckc-2023/ <https://creativeeconomies.co.uk/ckc-2023/> for different session formats and email proposals and short bios to (CKC /at/ uwe.ac.uk) <mailto:(CKC /at/ uwe.ac.uk)> by the end of *Sunday 9th October 2022*.

*About CKC 2023*

In July 2018, the Digital Cultures Research Centre at UWE Bristol convened the first Creativity, Knowledge, Cities (CKC) Conference to critically explore the tensions between the cultural sector, cities and universities. The second event, CKC 2019: Rethinking, Resisting, and Reimagining the Creative City built on these debates. Now, after a hiatus occasioned by the global pandemic, CKC 2023 returns to Bristol to continue its ambition to build shared conversations around positive futures for creative work.

This year’s event is run by the team behind the Fair Creative Economies, a new research programme funded as part of My World, a £38M programme of funding led by University of Bristol to support R&D in the creative sector. Fair Creative Economies seeks to explore new ethical, progressive and sustainable models for creative work and the necessary regional context needed to make them a reality.

CKC 2023 will be held at Watershed, Bristol on *29th and 30th March 2023*. There will be in-person talks and workshops, with some elements being live-streamed for remote audiences. We’ll endeavour to record as much of the programme as we can to share online after the event.

*Links:*
Creative Economies Lab: https://creativeeconomies.co.uk/ <https://creativeeconomies.co.uk/> Inclusive Economy Initiative: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/temple-quarter-campus/research-teaching-and-partnerships/inclusive-economy-initiative/ <https://www.bristol.ac.uk/temple-quarter-campus/research-teaching-and-partnerships/inclusive-economy-initiative/>
MyWorld: https://www.myworld-creates.com/ <https://www.myworld-creates.com/>