Archive for April 2022

[Commlist] UEA Media Research Seminar series (May-July)

Thu Apr 28 14:37:02 GMT 2022

The UEA Media Research seminar series has got three great online events coming up in May, June and July:

TUESDAY MAY 10^TH , 4.00-5.00pm

Dr Helen Warner (UEA), ‘The Costume Designers Guild: Trade Stories as Resistance’

Costume design presents a specific set of challenges when it comes to professional recognition. Costume designers must bring characters to life through their designs and yet, to ensure suspension of disbelief, their labour must be rendered invisible. Consequently, labour has historically failed to be viewed as ‘work’. This paper examines the strategies used by the Costume Designers Guild (CDG) to mobilise its members in fighting for recognition. Focusing on /The Costume Designer/, the organisation’s official magazine, the paper explores how the CDG provides a space in which to create the sense of community and camaraderie required for collective action.

TUESDAY JUNE 7^TH , 4.00-5.00pm

Dr Lorna Richardson (UEA), ‘”I Know I’m Not Alone”: TikTok and Peer Support in the Endometriosis Patient Community’

This seminar will explore the use of the platform TikTok for the discussion of the experience of endometriosis, and the use of the platform for peer-support around this topic amongst people with endometriosis or their families. It will discuss the lived experiences of the endometriosis community on TikTok, and the concepts, memes, music and themes that are used to describe the emotions involved with the illness.

TUESDAY JULY 12^TH 4.00-5.00pm

Dr Geraint D’Arcy (UEA), ‘Science Fiction and the Architectural Vernacular of the Modernist Spectacular’

This seminar discusses the persistence of modernist architectures in science fiction design in Film, TV and Comics. It will (re)define these design process as methodologies of science fiction production which construct, redress or extend familiar buildings and environments. It aims to show how architecture’s presentation in science fiction influences the way we read these texts as wistfully futuristic whilst we often condemn their optimistic templates in the context of their construction.

You can book for one or more events via the following link:

https://store.uea.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/faculty-of-arts-and-humanities/conferencesevents/media-research-seminar-series-apriljuly-2022