Archive for April 2022

[Commlist] Agre After Techno-Utopianism | 01.-02. September 2022 | @University of Siegen & online

Tue Apr 12 15:01:40 GMT 2022

We warmly welcome you to submit abstracts for a forthcoming workshop, 'Agre After Techno-Utopianism', on the work of Philip E. Agre. It will be held at the University of Siegen, Germany on 1-2 September, 2022, and hosted by SFB1187 Media of Cooperation.

 We welcome interdisciplinary contributions from media studies, art, cultural and literary studies as well as philosophy of technology, STS, history of computing, web history, CSCW, computer science, HCI or design.

You can find the full Call for Participation here (and basic info below): https://www.mediacoop.uni-siegen.de/en/events/workshop-agre-after-techno-utopianism/ <https://www.mediacoop.uni-siegen.de/en/events/workshop-agre-after-techno-utopianism/>

Deadline for extended abstracts (1000 words) is 10 May, 2022.

Collectively, we want to deepen our understanding of Agre’s thinking and the significance of his work. From revisiting well-known texts to rediscovering less-popular work, and exploring the exciting interconnections between various disciplines and forms of ‘net activism’ that engaged with Agre’s work from computational science to sociology, and from work in political economy to across the wider arts and humanities. Within the context of the contemporary platform condition we want to collectively reflect on the relevance, as well as limitations, of his work; continuing to debunk cyber utopias, whilst disassociating and rearticulating narratives of power.

*Format*: 2-day discussion workshop with conversation formats and interviews as well as dedicated discussions of contributions. Papers will be circulated in advance.

Please submit an extended abstract (1000 words).

*Deadline for submissions*: 10. May, 2022

Suggested (non-exhaustive) topics.*How did Agre develop critiques around the following issues*:

- Web communities and cultures (mailing lists, social media, tactics, resistance)
- Connectivity and networks (wired-ness, de/centralization, infrastructure)
- Capital-isms and technology (surveillance, networked, corporate, managerial)
- Work and the workplace (tasks, practices, organizational forms)
- Meaning of work (empowerment, the entrepreneurial self)
- Surveillance and privacy (grammars of action, capture model)
- Ethnomethods (accountability, activity, plans)
- Activity Theory (L. S. Vygotsky) and Interactionism as modes of critique
- Medium specificity (devices, platforms, AI)
- Critical Technical Practice (CTP), design and methodology (critique, tech ethics, APIs)
- Archives and histories (interactivity, accessibility, documentation)
- Other topics open to ‘Agre-ian’ analysis (e.g. environment, ecology, race)

We welcome contributions from*former colleagues and contemporary witnesses*. We also hope to hear various *personal and creative* accounts of these early days of the internet: the ideas, visions,
and hopes that shaped, and have been reshaped, by these early developments.

Respond to: (tatjana.seitz /at/ uni-siegen.de) <mailto:(tatjana.seitz /at/ uni-siegen.de)>