Archive for January 2022

[Commlist] CFP: The Third Helsinki Conference on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation (HEPP3)

Wed Jan 12 16:01:44 GMT 2022

Call for papers for HEPP3 conference

15–17 June 2022, Helsinki

The Third Helsinki Conference on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation (HEPP3) will take place in person (pandemic allowing, with a hybrid/virtual back-up option) on 15-17 June 2021, and our Call for Papers is now open. We welcome both abstracts and panel proposal submissions from colleagues in all career stages.

This conference will build upon the themes and discussions that we opened during our successful First and Second Helsinki Conferences on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation in August 2019 and May 2021, respectively. The conference has a focus on discursive, interpretive and postfoundational approaches on the triage of populism, affects and polarisation. This conference is particularly focused on the Whirl of Knowledge: Cultural Populism and Polarisation in Contemporary European Societies Academy of Finland project 2019-21; as such, we aim to explore the creation, flow, and mediations of knowledge and the various actors from different segments of society who play a role in this process in online and offline spaces. It is also an important meeting point for other HEPPsinki research groups projects as well, such as Now Time Us Space: Contemporary Mobilisations in Central Eastern Europe, which, besides online spaces, deals with urban cityscapes and polarisation and is funded by the Kone Foundation (2020-23). Other currently running HEPPsinki projects deal with (de)radicalisation, political humour and populism.

Please send in your submissions, including a title, a 200-250 word abstract and five keywords through this link https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/115317/lomake.html <https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/115317/lomake.html>by 15 February 2022. The early bird registration will be 50 EUR for students, early career and unemployed and 80 EUR for all others.

The conference will assemble a range of international researchers at all career stages, with the aim of examining populism particularly from a discursive and cultural approach. We welcome contributions from political science, media and communication studies, social psychology, history, anthropology, sociology, memory studies, gender studies, urban studies, and other related fields. The conference encourages papers that approach the following and related themes:

    *Populism and polarisation as political and cultural phenomena
    *Empathy and ressentiment
    *Agonism and antagonism
    *Gender in populism and polarisation
    *Cultural populism
    *Politicisation of and within Europe and its regions
    *Common grounds and communities of knowledge
    *Epistemic populism
    *Pandemic populisms and antagonisms
    *Political communication and media in times of crisis and polarisation

Organisers: HEPPsinki research group

Organising Committee of HEPP3: Virpi Salojärvi (chair), Ilana Hartikainen (co-chair), Sabine Volk (co-chair), Ionut Chiruta, Emilia Palonen, and Marina Vulovic

You can reach the HEPP3 team and conference secretaries (Laura Horsmanheimo and Roosa Kylli) at (hepp /at/ helsinki.fi) <mailto:(hepp /at/ helsinki.fi)>.