[Commlist] Events: Data Activism Futures & Art as Data Activism

Wed Jun 23 16:04:23 GMT 2021

I am happy to invite all of you to join us online for two events that mark the conclusion of the DATACTIVE project (data-activism.net) at the University of Amsterdam, that I have had the pleasure to coordinate.

For almost six years now, we have worked together toinvestigate the complex and multifaceted field of data activist imaginaries and practices. It is now time for thanks and celebrations!

Please join us onTuesday the 29th of June 2021(13.00-17.30 CEST)for the DATACTIVE closing event entitledDATA ACTIVISM FUTURES, to celebrate looking back and ponder about the future. We have our Principal Investigator Stefania Milan reflecting on five years of data activism, after which the PhD candidates will take central stage. Becky Kazansky will shed light on threat modelling within civil society and grassroots resistance to surveillance, Guillén Torres will present his work on institutional resistance to transparency efforts by citizens, and Niels ten Oever will take us through the politics of infrastructure. Guest speakers include Maxigas (University of Amsterdam), Fieke Jansen (Data Justice Lab, Cardiff University), Claudio (Algorithms Exposed), and Svitlana Matviyenko (Digital Democracies Institute). Finally, Davide Beraldo will engage in a discussion with artists Joana Moll, Manu Luksch, Karla Zavala & Adriaan Odenzaal, and Viola van Alphen about how art can contribute to the data activism agenda by fostering critical data literacy.

The DATACTIVE final event will be followed by apublic roundtable discussion on ART AS DATA ACTIVISM scheduled on the next day,Wednesday the 30th of June 2021(17.00-18.30 CEST). Participating artists: Joana Moll (Barcelona/Berlin based artist and researcher, Universität Potsdam and Escola Elisava), Manu Luksch (Artist in Residence at The School of Law, Birkbeck, University of London), Karla Zavala & Adriaan Odenzaal (☕️internet teapot l design & research studio), and Viola van Alphen (Creative Director and Curator Manifestations@Dutch Design Week. Art, Tech, and Fun!). Moderated by Lonneke van der Velden.Note that each event has its own separate registration process.

Please join us!

More info & registration athttps://data-activism.net/2021/06/june-29-30-datactive-final-event/