[Commlist] New Book: Communication Against Domination: Ideas of Justice from the Printing Press to Algorithmic Media

Tue Jun 15 06:42:36 GMT 2021

NEW BOOK - Communication Against Domination: Ideas of Justice from the Printing Press to Algorithmic Media

There are many things we /ought/ to do. Our media should support democracy, communications ought to advance equality, and technology must serve justice not domination. The research we choose to pursue often takesitscue from such normative /ideals/. Yet, we usually take these /ideals /for granted, without devoting much analytical attention to them.

This book explore how normative analysis can support and justify our ideals about what media /ought/ to be and do. It asks whether the things we owe one another in discourse, and the things justice requires from communication are universal and unchanging, or dependent on empirical facts and prevailing information technologies. It argues that the clarity that comes with rigorous normative analysis will make media and communication research better, more robust,and more transparent.

Reference: Hänska, Max. /Communication Against Domination: Ideas of Justice from the Printing Press to Algorithmic Media/. Routledge, 2021. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429280795 <https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429280795>

Table of Contents

1. Introduction - Empirical Research, and the Inextricability of Normative Ideas

Section 1: An Introduction to Normative Analysis

2. Normativity, or What We Mean When We Say /Ought/

3. Can the Facts Tell us What Ought to be?

4. Why Principles are Fact-Invariant

5. Communications Against Domination

Section 2: Technological Transformations of the Normative

6. Print Against Domination

7. Platforms and Networked Non-domination

8. Machine Intelligence and Discursive Control