[Commlist] Recording it Ourselves: A Day Event about DIY Cultures, Information, Archives and Heritage (online event)

Tue Feb 16 18:39:08 GMT 2021

*Recording it Ourselves: A Day Event about DIY Cultures, Information, Archives and Heritage
*
Recording It Ourselves is a day long knowledge sharing event about DIY cultures (we define DIY as grassroots and political cultures/practices – examples include grassroots spaces; music and zine making; blogging; podcasting; housing co-ops; activism etc) and archives, information and/or heritage.

Examples include collections in libraries and museums (for example, the Riot Grrrl Collection by Fales Library, grassroots-centred collections, e.g. black political activism at the George Padmore Institute) zine fair organisers working with museums and heritage organisations (North West Zine Fest and the People’s History Museum; Weirdo Zine Fest and the National Trust and Science Gallery London), and the setting up of physical and digital archives or libraries like the Manchester Digital Music Archive, Queer Zine Library, and Queer Zine Archive Project.

The event will be informal and we would like it to be different to academic conferences. You are very welcome to come along if you are involved in DIY cultures (maybe as a zine maker, organiser or musician), if you work or volunteer in an archive/library/museum of any type, or if you do research (in a university or in any other way). We would like the day to help people in each of these spaces to talk to each other, share/listen to experiences and information, and make connections that can support each other in our roles as organisers, creative people, researchers or workers in information roles.

The day will be hosted on Saturday 20th March 2021, from 09:30 – 18:00 GMT on Zoom.

You can engage with the event on the day via Twitter @RecordOurselves or by using the hashtag #RIO21. You can also visit our website at recordingitourselves.wordpress.com.

Tickets are available here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/recording-it-ourselves-diy-cultures-and-archives-information-and-heritage-tickets-141833246057 <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/recording-it-ourselves-diy-cultures-and-archives-information-and-heritage-tickets-141833246057>
<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/recording-it-ourselves-diy-cultures-and-archives-information-and-heritage-tickets-141833246057>

Recording it Ourselves: DIY Cultures and Archives, Information and Heritage <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/recording-it-ourselves-diy-cultures-and-archives-information-and-heritage-tickets-141833246057> Talks, skills sharing and network building around DIY cultures, information, archives and histories
www.eventbrite.co.uk

For those attending on behalf of an organisation (which will cover funding them attend) we ask for a donation in the region of £5-10 (which covers accessibility costs of live captioning on the day), and for everyone else tickets are free!