Archive for January 2021

[Commlist] DIGZOOM spring 2021 online seminar series

Mon Jan 11 17:25:04 GMT 2021

The Centre for Digital Social Research (DIGSUM) at Umeå University, Sweden, invites you all to our spring 2021 online seminar series, DIGZOOM, starting on January 28, and featuring:

- Zizi Papacharissi
- José van Dijck
- Nick Couldry
- Sarah T. Roberts
- Charles Ess
- Deen Freelon
- Whitney Phillips
- Brooke Foucault Welles
- Hannah Metzler
- Mark Carrigan
- Chris Bail

These are trying times, and this is a way to offer a space for exchange and dialogue in this field, as we hope for better days. The aim is for the events to be informal and friendly. 🦄

This is a broad invitation, and anyone, anywhere, who is interested in these topics should feel welcome to attend as many sessions as you like. We in fact encourage you to. We are proud to be able to offer such an impressive lineup of speakers! 🎉 This a somewhat unique opportunity.

Browse our programme at https://digsum.org/digzoom

Then, request zoom links (buttons following each speaker bio) for the ones you want to attend (the sooner the better). We will approve your “requests”, but just want to avoid posting the links directly in this email. If you prefer, send an email to (digsum /at/ digsum.net) listing which sessions you want links for.

///

ZIZI PAPACHARISSI

Affective Publics and COVID-19:
Solidarity and Distance

Thursday 28 January 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

MARK CARRIGAN

Post-Pandemic Scholarship:
Some Initial Thoughts

Thursday 11 February 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

WHITNEY PHILLIPS

The Apex Predator President:
Using Ecological Metaphors to Reframe Harm Online

Thursday 18 February 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

NICK COULDRY

From the Myth of the Mediated Centre to the Myth of Big Data:
Reflections on Media's Role in Social Order

Thursday 25 February 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

JOSÉ VAN DIJCK

Governing Public Values in a Platform Society

Thursday 4 March 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

CHARLES ESS

Should You Kick a Robot Dog?
Research Ethics in Human-Machine Communication

Thursday 11 March 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

SARAH T. ROBERTS

Behind the Screen:
Content Moderation in the Shadows of Social Media

Thursday 18 March 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

HANNAH METZLER

Collective Emotions During the Covid-19 Outbreak

Thursday 25 March 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

DEEN FREELON

Hashtag Heroes vs. Disinfo Dystopia:
The Left, the Right, and the Truth About Social Media Activism

Thursday 8 April 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

BROOKE FOUCAULT WELLES

Voice, Attention, and (In)Equality:
Connecting Online Talk to Political and Civic Change

Thursday 15 April 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)

CHRIS BAIL

Breaking the Social Media Prism:
How to Make our Platforms Less Polarizing

Thursday 29 April 2021, 15:00CET (2pm UK; 9am EST; 11pm JST)