Archive for January 2021

[Commlist] CFP: Panel 'Emotional political narratives and engagement in contentious politics' as a part of the 15th Conference of the European Sociological Association

Tue Jan 05 14:25:46 GMT 2021

CFP: Panel 'Emotional political narratives and engagement in contentious politics' as a part of the 15th Conference of the European Sociological Association in Barcelona/Spain, 31 August -- 3 September 2021.

Submission deadline: February 15, 2021.

Submission platform: https://www.europeansociology.org/abstract-submission-open

The goal of this panel is to shed light on the latest trends in emotional political narratives and engagement. In times of multiple crises in Europe (austerity measures, cultural and value conflicts, migration, COVID pandemics) expression of outrage seems to become a normal practice if not a new display rule. This moral anger against those who allegedly or actually inflicted damage on someone we care about has been amplified thanks to social networking sites and ranting media that provide platforms for limitless emotional ventilation. Communicating frustration, however, not necessarily motivates collective action for social or political changes. Political engagement and mobilization need narratives of hope, empathy, pride, and feeling of being part of a group as well. Therefore, we invite contributions to map the complexity of affections in politics that includes the simultaneous expression of mixed emotions as well as dynamics of emotion transformation in time. We are open for submissions of empirical research and theoretical contributions aiming to understand emotional political narratives and engagement. We especially welcome methodologically innovative papers expanding our knowledge on the interplay between the cultivation of outrage and positive emotions in the context of contemporary contentious politics.

Convenors:

Gabriella Szabó is a senior research fellow at Centre for Social Sciences (Budapest, Hungary). Her research interests lie in the area of political communication and communities, expressivity, and the public sphere.

Monika Verbalyte is a research fellow at Europe-University Flensburg and doctoral researcher at Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, her interests lie in public emotions, European sociology and emotions' role in political communication and attitudes.