Archive for October 2020

[Commlist] Journal of Sonic Studies - New issue published

Tue Oct 20 10:59:34 GMT 2020

*Journal of Sonic Studies 20 online*

JSS 20 <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/558606/558686> is delighted to offer you eight exhibitions, a small cross-section of current research taking place in sound studies. In this issue, the reader can explore the sound worlds of the Baschet brothers’ Odontophones or follow an (embodied) investigation of the textured sound fields of Éliane Radigue’s sonic works.

Take the sharply hooked turns to the Source Bleue in Tiznit, Morocco, and experience the sonic thresholds that gently mark or guide your experience. Ponder the tragic disruptions of Birdstrike through an audio documentary by Jacob Smith or be confronted with the use of noise and silence as powerful tools of disruption or coercion in the sound sculptures of Adam Basanta.

Take a guess at what lies within Marcel Duchamp’s /With Hidden Noise /(1916) or observe the physiological effects of durational listening to the sounds of Arctic winter winds featured on YouTube.

Finally, and perhaps most pertinent to our current situation, our readers can also consider the suggestions of Braxton Boren on how we might reduce low frequency noise transmission to our neighbours in adjacent apartment units. Perhaps with a few modifications, we can ease the sonic disturbances within this strange version of “living together apart” and improve the overall sonic liveability for all those living and working at home in close quarters.

Table of Contents and contributors to JSS20:

  * Marcel Cobussen – “Editorial: Enjoy Sound Art and Sound Studies at
    Home During Hard Times”
    <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/1010798/1010799>
  * Martí Ruiz i Carulla and Sudhanshu Tewari – “Odontophones: An
    Empirical Approach to the Baschet Use of Clamped Oscillators for
    Sound Sculptures (and Beyond)”
    <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/932703/939501>
  * Mark Saccomano – “The Timbre of Tone, the Texture of Space: An
    Embodied Approach to the Atmospheric Modulations of Éliane Radigue”
    <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/979475/979476>
  * Noha Gamal Saïd – “Sonic Affordances of a Sacred Spring. The Urban
    Courtyard as a Figure of Rehabilitation of the Medina”
    <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/978902/978903>
  * Jacob Smith – “The Pteropoetics of Birdstrike”
    <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/873703/873704>
  * Shauna Jean Doherty – “Noise and Silence: The Contemporary Sound
    Sculptures of Adam Basanta”
    <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/978605/978606>
  * Krzysztof Fijalkowski  – “Secret Noise: Marcel Duchamp and the
(Un)sound Object” <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/978680/978681>
  * Braxton Boren – “The Soundscape of Quarantine: The Role of Sound
    During a Public Health Crisis”
    <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/978530/978531>
  * Svein Høier and Asbjørn Tiller – “Experiencing Recorded Geophony.
    Listening to Arctic Winter Winds at Home”
    <https://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/979085/979086>