[Commlist] Mediating 'China' Postgraduate Symposium

Sat Mar 30 15:50:24 GMT 2019

***Mediating ‘China’:*

*Postgraduate Symposium of Visual Representations of the People, Traditions, and Spaces of Chinese-speaking Communities*

*Saturday, **4 May 2019*

*Avenue Campus (Lecture Theatre B), University of Southampton (UK)***

I am delighted to inform you that we had overwhelming response from PhD students at various universities submitting abstracts for our symposium, 'Mediating China', and have now finalised the panels with some of the most outstanding papers!The Centre for International Film Research (CIFR), run by the Film department at the University of Southampton, cordially invites youto join in what promises to be a very enriching day. You can register for our symposium via our Eventbrite page at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/mediating-china-postgraduate-symposium-tickets-58735513502. There is NO registration fee, and lunch and refreshments will be provided by the organisers! I look forward to seeing you there!

The symposium will take placeat the Avenue Campus, the University of Southampton, on *4 May 2019*. This symposium will coincide with the 100^th anniversary of the May Fourth Movement that was instrumental in changing the trajectory of the development of Chinese culture in the past century. Itwill explore how the spaces, identity, language, people and traditions of various Chinese-speaking communities have been visualised and represented in a variety of visual media. From cinema and video games to television and other art forms, this symposium will offer an excellent platform to promote comprehensive and interdisciplinary insight not only into the Chinese visual culture itself, but also the eclectic range of innovative research methods and critical approaches employed to study and analyse such culture, along with their development and integration with the world amidst globalisation and current affairs/international relations.

*Our confirmed panel discussants include:*

・Professor Tim Bergfelder (University of Southampton, UK)

・Professor Stephanie Hemelryk Donald (University of Lincoln, UK)

・Dr Julian Stringer (University of Nottingham, UK)

This symposium is sponsored by the Confucius Institute at the University of Southampton.

Please do get in touch with James at (_jj1g16 /at/ soton.ac).uk_, if you have any questions.

Please do also check out our event webpage: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/cifr/news/events/2019/05/04-mediating-china.page

04-mediating-china | Centre for International Film Research | University of Southampton <https://www.southampton.ac.uk/cifr/news/events/2019/05/04-mediating-china.page>
www.southampton.ac.uk
The Centre for International Film Research (CIFR)

04-mediating-china | Centre for International Film Research | University of Southampton <https://www.southampton.ac.uk/cifr/news/events/2019/05/04-mediating-china.page>
www.southampton.ac.uk
The Centre for International Film Research (CIFR)

You can also find us and our regular updates on social media:

・Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/353396152057398 <https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fevents%2F353396152057398%2F&data=01%7C01%7Cjj1g16%40soton.ac.uk%7C80d23d9785b1452046ee08d6b454c414%7C4a5378f929f44d3ebe89669d03ada9d8%7C0&sdata=PdD2t%2BnCI%2B3V37gtCkEaUTVJRhtONAQUp21XCU3DERg%3D&reserved=0>

・Weibo: @南安普顿大学官微

・Wechat: UoSouthampton

/Postgraduate Organising Team:/

James Jackson, Sakura Kang, Maggie Li, Fangfang Lin

/Advisor:/

Dr Ruby Cheung