[Commlist] International Journalism Summer School

Sat Mar 30 15:48:43 GMT 2019

I wanted to let you know about a new summer school for (undergraduate and) postgraduate journalism, media and communication students taking place *24-28th June 2019* at Sheffield Hallam University. As you may know in the past decade more than 900 journalists have been killed in the course of their work while most of their killers go unpunished. The harsh reality of working as a journalist in many parts of the word requires journalists and media professionals to be aware of issues related to violence, attacks, threats and online harassment aimed at diminishing their right to freedom of expression. It is vital that all future journalists, and especially those will work in the global media industry, learn how to plan for reporting in potential hostile situations, how to access credible information, how to assess the nature of the risks they may face and be familiar with legal and ethical challenges. At the same time students need to learn about the values of free and independent journalism. This is what we aim to do at the summer school. We have a jam-packed week with talks from high-profile speakers, workshops, projects and lots of hands-on activities. Some of our speakers include:

  * Guy Berger, UNESCO, Director of Media Freedom Division
  * Gill Phillips, Director of Editorial and Legal services, The Guardian
  * Sean Gallagher, Index on Censorship
  * Jacob Udo-Udo Jacob, Expert on peace media and post-conflict
    resolution in Nigeria, Congo and Somalia
  * Marte Hoiby, Journalist safety trainer, Oslo University
  * Mark Nichols, War correspondent
  * Aidan White, Founder and President of The Ethical Journalism Network
  * Elisabeth Witchel, Committee to Protect Journalists
  * Silvia Chocarro, Article 19
  * Rebecca Vincent, Reporters Without Borders
  * William Horsley, International Director of Centre for Freedom of the
    Media (CFOM)
  * Jackie Harrison, UNESCO Chair in Media Freedom and Chair of CFOM

We will offer students workshops on media law, data journalism, cyber security, investigative journalism (conducted by the Bureau of Investigative Journalism) and much more. The full programme can be found here <https://blogs.shu.ac.uk/goglobal/2019/01/11/addressing-global-challenges-to-journalism-and-press-freedom-summer-school/?doing_wp_cron=1553168532.2929670810699462890625#> with information how to register. *Deadline for registrations is 30 April 2019 but we will close registration as soon as all placed have been filled*. The cost for attending is £100 for the whole week. We are able to offer some free places to students from disadvantaged backgrounds so please get in touch if you know of someone who would benefit.