Archive for March 2019

[Commlist] Call for Applicants: Toronto Writing Workshop - Writing Creative Non-Fiction for Academics

Tue Mar 26 07:16:09 GMT 2019

*The Toronto Humanities at Large Workshop: Writing Creative Non-Fiction for Academics *

      Application Deadline: 25 April

We invite applications from academics in humanities disciplines to participate in a week-long intensive workshop in writing creative non-fiction. The Toronto Workshop is designed for academic writers who wish to reach a broader public. Participants will be given strategies for writing for different audiences and for disseminating their work in non-academic channels, and will learn strategies drawn from creative non-fiction, such as narrative structure, character development, voice, and point of view.

        Apply here: https://humanities.utoronto.ca/funding/24316

Instructors: *Eva-Lynn Jagoe *is an Associate Professor of Comparative Literature and Spanish. She is the author of /Take Her, She’ s Yours, /a forthcoming nonfiction memoir, and teaches courses on critical and creative nonfiction. She has been co-organizer of this workshop, as well as of Banff Research in Culture. *Gretchen Bakke *is a professional editor and writer with extensive experience writing for both academic and non-academic readership. Author of /The Grid: The Fraying Wires between Americans and our Energy Future /(a 2016 Bill Gates pick) Bakke is currently a Visiting Professor of Anthropology at Humboldt University in Berlin.

A version of this workshop was offered in May 2016. Here's what participants in that workshop had to say:

“I learned things that will help me in practical ways, but it was also an energizing experience that I think has made me braver as a writer. The content was terrific and beautifully delivered by the instructors, but the participants were also wonderful, so the overall atmosphere was just really conducive to pushing myself outside of my comfort zone (in the good ways).”

“This has definitely helped me approach my academic work with fresh eyes and energy. I also know that it will help me as a teacher trying to work with my students on their writing, so that’s a bonus. That’s what I’d tell others who are interested. (I’m going to be honest: if people ask me about this I’ll be a total evangelist: “You should go!! It will change your life!” and so on.)”

“This workshop far exceeded my expectations. I really did not know what to expect. But the group was extraordinary—very supportive. The organizers deserve awards for creating such a warm, supportive, and liberating atmosphere. The instructors worked to make all of us feel free, and gave us structured, targeted help for thinking about our projects and our writing.”

Application Process: The workshop is limited to 14 spaces, with preference given to mid- level (Associate) professors, though other applications will be considered. To apply, please send the following: 1) 500-word proposal of what writing you want to do (or are already doing) in this area and why; 2) 1-page CV. Applications should be submitted through the JHI website at: https://humanities.utoronto.ca/funding/24316

Please feel free to write to Eva-Lynn Jagoe ((e.jagoe /at/ utoronto.ca) <mailto:(e.jagoe /at/ utoronto.ca)>) or Gretchen Bakke ((gretchen.bakke /at/ hu-berlin.de) <mailto:(gretchen.bakke /at/ hu-berlin.de)>)for further information about the nature and structure of this workshop.

This workshop is generously supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for the Humanities and the Jackman Humanities Institute (JHI) at the University of Toronto, through the JHI’s Mellon-funded Humanities at Large initiative. As a result, there is no tuition.

Out-of-town participants (i.e., non-University of Toronto participants) are eligible for limited funding support toward the costs of travel and accommodation on a reimbursement basis. If you have questions about this funding, please contact JHI Director, Professor Alison Keith ((jhi.director /at/ utoronto.ca) <mailto:(jhi.director /at/ utoronto.ca)>)