Archive for March 2019

[Commlist] new book: We Are Data

Fri Mar 15 06:49:47 GMT 2019

New publication from New York University Press
in paperback

*We Are Data***

  Algorithms and the Making of Our Digital Selves

*John Cheney-Lippold***

*_http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/we-are-data_**__*

“/We Are Data/ is a gem!... This finely crafted book should help us to take a giant collective leap forward."--/International Journal of Communication/

"If knowledge is indeed the means by which we can begin to challenge the digital status quo, then Cheney-Lippold has done much to forearm us by so capably elucidating the problem."-/LSE Review of Books/

What identity means in an algorithmic age: how it works, how our lives are controlled by it, and how we can resist it

Algorithms are everywhere, organizing the near limitless data that exists in our world. Derived from our every search, like, click, and purchase, algorithms determine the news we get, the ads we see, the information accessible to us and even who our friends are. These complex configurations not only form knowledge and social relationships in the digital and physical world, but also determine who we are and who we can be, both on and offline.

Algorithms create and recreate us, using our data to assign and reassign our gender, race, sexuality, and citizenship status. They can recognize us as celebrities or mark us as terrorists. In this era of ubiquitous surveillance, contemporary data collection entails more than gathering information about us. Entities like Google, Facebook, and the NSA also decide what that information means, constructing our worlds and the identities we inhabit in the process. We have little control over who we algorithmically are. Our identities are made useful not for us—but for someone else.

Through a series of entertaining and engaging examples, John Cheney-Lippold draws on the social constructions of identity to advance a new understanding of our algorithmic identities. We Are Data will educate and inspire readers who want to wrest back some freedom in our increasingly surveilled and algorithmically-constructed world.

*John Cheney-Lippold*is Assistant Professor of American Culture and Digital Studies at the University of Michigan.With all best wishes,

Combined Academic Publishers

*New York University Press**| November 2018 | 320pp | 9781479808700 | PB | £15.99**

*Price subject to change.