Archive for March 2019

[Commlist] Postdoctoral Fellowships: Digital Democracies (Simon Fraser University)

Tue Mar 12 15:29:50 GMT 2019

We are pleased to announce that SFU's Digital Democracies Group is now accepting applications for Postdoctoral Fellowships that will begin September 2019. The Digital Democracies Group is a new research hub in the School of Communication that examines how we may use the humanities, social sciences and data science to address questions of equality and social justice. ____

____

Successful candidates will have the oppurtunity to work with Dr. Wendy Chun, SFU's Canada 150 Research Chair, on one of two main projects. The first analyses neighborhoods, and the networked and physical segregations that are an inherent part of them, ultimately combatting this segregation through the development of new networking models. For this project, candidates must have their Ph.D. in a relevant discipline, a demonstrated ability to conduct high-quality research, strong written and oral communications skills, and expertise in critical data studies, urban studies, critical ethnic studies and/or network science. ____

____

The second project examines the spread of misinformation by identifying the underlying infrastructures that make fake-news compelling, and counter this via the creation of alternative forms of online and offline interaction. For this, successful candidates must have their Ph.D. in a relevant, demonstrated ability to conduct high-quality research, strong written and oral communications skills, and expertise in critical data studies, media studies, theatre and performance studies, and/or digital methods. ____

____

Interested candidates please visit our site <http://www.sfu.ca/digital-democracies/about/employment-opportunities.html> for more information on these roles, as well as how to apply. We are very much looking forward to reviewing your applications beginning March 31st.____