Archive for March 2019

[Commlist] CfP - Identity in Times of Change

Mon Mar 04 16:58:12 GMT 2019

*Identity in Times of Change*

*7.6.2019, University of Manchester, UK*

This conference calls for papers on the subject “identity in times of change”. The crisis of 2008 has unleashed a wave of social changes over the last decade, as well as exacerbating existing problems. The economic crash precipitated a wave of social crises, protest movements and political instability. The ephemeral hope of the Arab Spring in the Middle East turned to sectarianism and unforeseen wars. The rise of refugee mobility has engendered new political discourse. The last ten years have seen the impact of austerity and displacement; Occupy, Yellow Vests and Me Too; the rise of populism and the decline of neoliberal economics. Alongside this, escalating climate change and ominous predictions of future disaster have created a sense of constant crisis.

Amid the chaos, we are interested in how these macro level phenomena have impacted on the way people see themselves and each other. We want to take this opportunity to understand how identities are shaped, negotiated and perceived within new social realities. We also want to explore how new identities and identity claims can be used to create new social realities, or alter existing social relations.

We would like this conference to be an opportunity to share methodological approaches to identity research, and consider new ways forward. Both theoretical work on identity and empirical case studies are welcomed and encouraged.

This conference invites papers, but in no way limited, focusing on the following thematic areas:

● Queer rights/identities

● Methodological considerations in identity research

● Diasporic identities

● Post-immigration crisis

● National or nationalist identities

● Activist identities

● Intersectional identities

*Confirmed key-note speaker:* Dr. Teije Donker, Department of Sociology, University of Cambridge.

*Important deadlines and other information:*

●Submission of abstracts: abstracts of up to 250 words and a brief biographical note should be sent by 17^th  March, 2019 to: (_sossconference /at/ gmail.com) <https://outlook.manchester.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=lERm6KmqspuyJyDkhWof5KzjByj645WIM0uJkkVj4XWjc6DQwaDWCA..&URL=mailto%3asossconference%40gmail.com>_

●Acceptance notification will be announced by 20^th  March 2019.

●Attendance to the conference is free.

●Lunch will be provided.