[Commlist] Lecturer in Media and Communications at DMU

Fri Dec 21 15:56:35 GMT 2018

Lecturer in Media and Communications at DMU - closing date 23rd January

https://dmuhub.dmu.ac.uk:444/sap(bD1lbiZjPTkwMA==)/bc/bsp/sap/hrrcf_wd_dovru/application.do?PARAM=cmNmdHlwZT1waW5zdCZwaW5zdD0wMDUwNTZBNTVDNjkxRUQ4QkZENzdBNDcyNEJCQzg5NQ%3d%3d

Lecturer in Media & Communication (VC2020)
Reference: T-60524915-02
De Montfort University (DMU) is an ambitious, truly globally-minded institution with a strong focus on delivering quality across all aspects of its offer. We
achieved a Gold award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in 2017
and have just been named the first-ever University of the Year for Social
Inclusion in The Sunday Times Good University Guide for 2019.
DMU has also been designated as a Global Hub for Sustainable Development
Goal 16
–
 the first university to be chosen as such. Our new Strategic Plan,
which sets out our mission, values and strategic aims over the next five years,
has been crafted in line with the United Nations
’
 17 SDGs, or Global Goals.
Faculty / Directorate
Leicester Media School wishes to appoint a VC2020 Lecturer in Media and
Communication.
This post will be situated in the Leicester Media School, which is part of the
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Media. The Leicester Media School has
a strong emphasis on the integration of teaching and research. We pride
ourselves on creating a space where students have excellent learning
opportunities.
This is delivered by research active staff and media practitioners. In the last
National Student Survey (NSS), the Media and Communication programme
achieved an
‘
overall satisfaction
’
 rating of 89 per cent.
In REF 2014, we submitted the highest proportion of
‘
world leading
’
 (4*) outputs
to Unit of Assessment 36 in the UK. 100 per cent of our
‘
Impact
’
 and 90 per
cent of our
‘
research environment
’
 was judged to be
‘
world-leading
’
 or
‘
internationally excellent
’
.
Role
DMU VC2020 posts are aimed at recruiting outstanding future research
leaders.  In this post we are seeking to emphasise and develop our research
and teaching in the area of Media and Communication, with a particular focus
on one or all of the following areas: Social Media/Race and/or Gender.  The
post will be located within the Media and Communication degree programme
and the Media and Communication Research Centre (MCRC).  The successful
candidate will be expected to make a contribution to the research culture of
MCRC and wider REF submission.  The successful candidate will also be
expected to engage and develop links with the newly established Stephen
Lawrence Research Centre.
Candidates will be required to work within and develop existing teaching
provision, and a demonstration of how you could contribute to our research
methods provision would be welcomed.  Applicants are also encouraged to
consider how they might contribute to Year 3 Level 6 module provision and/or
postgraduate teaching development.
Ideal Candidate
Candidates should be at the beginning of their careers and outstanding in their
chosen field. They must hold a doctoral degree or exhibit exceptional
practice-based experience, with the potential to become a future academic
leader. Appointees will focus on establishing an academic profile through
participation in appropriate teaching and learning activities, as well as further developing their research profile or practice. They will participate in a mentoring
scheme and have access to professional development opportunities.
Candidates should submit a Curriculum Vitae (CV) with their application, which
includes their research publications.
Please use the Personal Statement section of the application to outline how
your area of research aligns with one or more of the following areas: Social
Media; media representations/audiences and Race and/or Gender.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity or require any further information
please contact either Professor Heather Savigny ((heather.savigny /at/ dmu.ac.uk))
or Dr Paul Smith ((pasmith /at/ dmu.ac.uk))