[ecrea] PhD-researcher in media and communication science at Jönköping University

Mon Dec 10 19:00:52 GMT 2018

*PhD-researcher in media and communication science*

The School of Education and Communication

The School of Education and Communication is one of four schools within Jönköping University. We offer education and research in media and communication studies, international work, human resources and teaching. We have extensive activities towards professional training and skills development. Through working with us you will experience a creative environment with excellent opportunities for influence and personal development.

Media and communication science (MKV) at Jönköping University is largely organised as training and research in the social sciences, with an orientation toward sustainable communication. Our research objectives are to understand how communication, in a variety of settings such journalism, organisations, in political contexts and so on, can contribute toward reaching the 17 Sustainable Development Goals as formulated by the United Nations to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all.

Our research group focusses on three of these UN-dimensions of sustainability and the role of communication relating to these, namely environmental, social, economic, and the challenges that these three pose in relation to, for example, climate and equality.

Media and communication studies and its research is located to the School of Education and Communication (HLK); which is one of four schools constituting Jönköping University, having been granted the right to examine research degrees in the humanities as well as in the social sciences by the Swedish Higher Education Authority.

We are now searching for a suitable doctoral researcher (PhD-student) in Media and communication science with an orientation toward sustainability and communication.https://ju.mynetworkglobal.com/en/what:job/jobID:241148/where:4/

WORK AND STUDY SPECIFICATIONS
Note that being accepted as a doctoral student at Jönköping University is a salaried employment on legal conditions particular to research students, lasting for a set period of time during which the PhD researcher is expected to complete stipulated advanced courses in his or her field, and pursue research in accordance with an individualised plan of study leading to the completion of a doctoral thesis. Hence, the main focus of any such employment is to pursue the research and produce the written thesis. However, it is customary for doctoral researchers to also contribute some teaching at basic and advanced levels in his or her field although not in excess of 20% of the researcher’s full-time workload.

QUALIFICATIONS
The applicant must have obtained a recognised advanced degree, or alternatively have studied relevant courses encompassing the equivalent of 240 credits of which at least 60 credits must have been pursued at advanced level. The applicant should have a degree in Media and communication science or have a degree in a related discipline or field.

As candidates are selected personal suitability will be considered of particular importance. In our assessment of a candidate a documented ability for co-operation and taking initiatives will also be considered. We will expect you to have excellent analytical and reflective skills relating to your work at hand and also that you possess equally excellent skills in writing and speaking English.

EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS
You will be employed full-time (100%) as a doctoral researcher working toward your PhD-degree tentatively beginning your work on *1 April 2019*, or as agreed. Doctoral employment, concluding with a thesis defence and an ensuing doctoral degree, entails a maximum of four years in duration. Local guidelines for salary level is available.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Please, contact, either or both of the following academic representatives:
Vice Dean of Education, Dr. Håkan Sandgren, +46 (0)46-101355; (hakan.sandgren /at/ ju.se)
Professor Peter Berglez, +46 (0)36-101396, (peter.berglez /at/ ju.se)

APPLICATION
Your application should have reached us no later than *17 February 2019*. You apply by using our Internet-based application system for which you need to submit your documentation preferably in a PDF-format.

Your application must contain the following:

·A fully filled-in formal application form

·A research proposal about three A4-pages in length (suggesting research questions, theory, methodology and structured time line for a doctoral project focussing on sustainability and communication)

·A certified full CV with your degrees, work experience and other relevant merits

·A certfied document giving evidence of academic training and also demonstrating that you are qualified as a candidate for a PhD-programme. In addition, this documentation must also demonstrate the level of your proficiency in the English langauge, written and oral. It must not be lower than the equivalent of an upper secondary school level.

·Copies of previously completed examination essays, research projects and publications of relevance.

·Also supply the names and contact details of at least two individuals who are willing to act as your referees whom we may contact during the process of selection.

Jönköping University is a modern institution, characterized by internationalization and an entrepreneurial spirit. We attract highly qualified, inventive and enterprising people from all around the world. We develop new knowledge and share our expertise through solid collaborations with industry and business, the public sector and other higher education institutions. We offer an equal and inclusive workplace and we welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds. For more information, visit www.ju.se <https://ju.se/en.html>