[ecrea] Workshop series on community-based science communication in Latin America (12th / 18th / 21st Sept 2018 in AR, CR, MX, full day each)

Mon Sep 03 21:24:56 GMT 2018

/(Spanish version below)/

Together with UNESCO and RedPop, the Science Communication Centre at Rhine-Waal University is going to host three workshops across Latin America, in September, which are meant to explore a diversification of what has mainly been seen as comunicación / divulgación / popularización of science. The approach will be to discuss opportunities and risks of a more community-driven form of science communication, which is much less about explaining or even selling science than it is about ways to enable and incentivise forms of research that incorporate or even anticipate societal needs and challenges. We’re calling this a “Comunicación Ciudadana de la Ciencia” (kind of ‘Civil Communication of Science’), a series of workshops we framed as a “Caravana”: on *12th Sept in La Plata (Argentina), 18th Sept in San José (Costa Rica), and 21st Sept in Guadalajara (México)*. All events have been set up and are being co-hosted by the national Ministries of Science, and our local research partners / universities.

Representatives of a diverse spectrum of stakeholders of science is going to be present, such as industry and CSOs, governments and parliaments, NGOs and regulatory bodies… We have however kept at least a dozen places free at each event for those who are most interested in contributing to our discussions. There won’t be a fee for participation. Catering is included. All English presentations and discussions are going to be translated into Spanish; some Spanish ones into English; the rest is going to be in Spanish only. All you’d need to do, is send us a message when and why you would like to join: (enquiries /at/ sciencecomm.eu)

Interestingly enough, the Persian term “caravana” (Karawan), originally and etymologically, stood for a row of animals, and only later represented the way of life of a nomad tribe. In his book about serendipity, science sociologist Robert K. Merton uses a story about stolen camels and princes, to conceive a journey process as unexpected enough as to generate observations and findings by accident that may contribute to the creation of unforeseen knowledge. THIS is exactly the spirit of our own ‘Caravana’. Our team wishes to know more about Latin American sciencecomm trends, while trying to avoid as many ‘Western’ preconceptions as possible, something the psychologists in methods design call Reactivity.

Our goal is to engage in a ‘pluricentric’ dialogue with a diverse array of representatives from Latin America and the Caribbean. Indeed, it is no coincidence that we focus on that part of the globe. There are patterns in the communication of science that even though they are present around the world, they seem to be especially intense in these regions. For example: the increasing pressure over natural resources and the consequent need for more diverse participation in environmental decision-making to create shared values and futures; social movements that propose alternatives to the narrow use of innovation as a mere economically-driven process; and grassroots organisations that challenge particular descriptions and prescriptions about the natural environment.

With the feedback from these meetings, we expect not only a better understanding about the current changing forms in which the intersections of science, civil society, innovators and environmental groups are manifested, but also a reflective reasoning framework, from which we can come back home to Cleves, to initiate new projects that are not the simply the product of our own plans and purposes, but also of the unexpected observations that we expect to emerge from these kinds of encounters. It would be great to have YOU with us! You can find out more about the projects leading to this workshop series, especially SciComPass, RRING, NUCLEUS, and Ô, under sciencecomm.eu.

Best wishes from our Caravana team, Daniela Martín, Gabriela Michelini, Francesc Rodríguez,
and myself.

/Invitación para participar gratuitamente en nuestra serie de seminarios en la América Latina
(12 / 18th / 21st Sept 2018 in AR, CR, MX)/

Juntamente con UNESCO y la RedPop, nuestro Centro de Comunicación Científica va a organizar tres seminarios en la América Latina en septiembre. El objetivo es explorar la diversificación de lo que se conoce generalmente como comunicación / divulgación / popularización de la ciencia. Nuestra propuesta consistirá en dialogar sobre las oportunidades y riesgos de desarrollar una comunicación científica que se base por y para las comunidades. Es decir, aquella que sea menos sobre explicar o divulgar ciencia y más sobre permitir e incentivar formas de investigación que incorporen o anticipen necesidades y desafíos sociales. A esta última noción la denominamos “Comunicación Ciudadana de la Ciencia”, y la articulamos mediante una serie de seminarios bajo el marco de “La Caravana”, el 12 de septiembre en la Plata (Argentina), el 18 de septiembre en San José (Costa Rica) y el 21 de septiembre en Guadalajara (México). Todos estos eventos serán co-organizados por los ministerios nacionales e instituciones de investigación y académicas de cada país.

Varios interlocutores relacionados con la ciencia, investigación y sociedad civil estarán presentes, tales como ONGs, parlamentarios, miembros de cuerpos regulatorios de la ciencia e innovación, directores de instituciones científicas, y activistas ambientales, entre otros. Además, hemos dejado algunas plazas libres en cada seminario para que cualquier persona interesada se pueda apuntar todavía. La participación en los seminarios es gratuita, y habrá servicio de catering. Son bienvenidas tanto colegas del mundo académico como aquellos que trabajan en cualquiera de los temas relacionados. Todas las presentaciones en inglés se traducirán al castellano, algunas en castellano al inglés, y el resto serán en castellano solamente. Para registrarse necesitamos una breve explicación del porqué les gustaría participar al email siguiente: (enquiries /at/ sciencecomm.eu)

Según la etimología, la palabra “caravana” proviene del persa. Originariamente, una karawan (literalemente una fila de animales de carga) representa una tribu nómada que cruza el desierto con dromedarios y camellos por distintas motivaciones. Como el sociólogo de la ciencia Robert K. Merton muestra mediante una historia de camellos robados y de príncipes en su libro sobre la serendipia, un trayecto a través de un territorio puede ser lo suficientemente impredecible como para dar lugar a observaciones y hallazgos inesperados, y a veces también afortunados, contribuyendo así a la generación de conocimiento. ESE es precisamente el espíritu de nuestra Caravana. Nuestro equipo pretende conocer pautas de la comunicación científica en Argentina, México y Costa Rica, con un cuidado especial por nuestra parte en evitar nuestras propias preconcepciones basadas en otro entorno, lo que en psicología se conoce generalmente  como reactividad. El propósito de la Caravana de llevar a cabo un debate pluricéntrico con representantes de la América Latina y el Caribe no es casual. Existen pautas sobre la comunicación de la ciencia que aunque se manifiestan en todo el mundo, tienen una especial incidencia e intensidad en estas regiones, por ejemplo: una creciente presión sobre los recursos naturales que hace necesaria una diversidad mayor en la toma de decisiones para forjar un futuro compartido; movimientos sociales que plantean alternativas a la innovación vista desde un simple punto de vista económico; y asociaciones ambientales que quieren un mayor protagonismo a la hora de definir lo que es el medio ambiente.

De estos encuentros esperamos no solo un mayor entendimiento sobre las formas, siempre cambiantes, con las que ciencia, sociedad civil, innovación y grupos ambientales, se relacionan, sino también una reflexión general compartida con nuestros colegas en la América Latina y el Caribe y así volver a Cléveris para poder empezar nuevos proyectos, los cuales sean fruto no solo de la planificación sino también de observaciones inesperadas que surgen en este tipo de encuentros. Pueden conocer más sobre proyectos que llevamos a cabo como SciComPass, RRING, NUCLEUS, y Ô, en sciencecomm.eu

De parte del equipo de la Caravana, Daniela Martín, Gabriela Michelini, Francesc Rodríguez, y yo mismo,
les enviamos nuestro más sincero saludo.