[ecrea] CfP: WAR/GAME: Ludic Expressions of Violent Conflict

Wed Aug 08 14:04:43 GMT 2018

Call for Participation
*WAR/GAME: Ludic Expressions of Violent Conflict

An affiliated event of the Central and Eastern European Game Studies Conference 2018
11 October  2018, Prague, Czech Republic*

Organized by Holger Pötzsch (UiT Tromsø),
Philip Hammond (London South Bank University)
and Vít Šisler (Charles University)

The WAR/GAME network has since 2014 brought together established and young game scholars from several European countries. Through a series of four international workshops, a special issue of the journal Game Studies (2016), a series of scholarly papers and a forthcoming anthology, the group has critically interrogated the varying interrelations and mutual dependencies between games, play, and war. Comprising experts from a variety of fields employing different theories and methods, work carried out by the network has interdisciplinary qualities that open new and often unexpected perspectives on an apparently well-studied issue.

The objectives of the workshop are threefold. Firstly, we want to gain an overview of the latest research on the relationships between games, play, and war. Secondly, we wish to disseminate the work of the WAR/GAME network and reach out to new scholars and others interested in our research. Thirdly, we hope to connect to other relevant projects working in the same or related areas of research.

For the CEEGS 2018 conference, we would like to invite established and young scholars (including doctoral students) to submit abstracts focusing on themes such as:

• How do games articulate specific actual or historical wars?

• How does the production context and the political economy of the games industry factor into design and development of war games?

• How do players, either individually or in groups, play with, negotiate, and subvert war games?

We welcome contextual, player-centric, as well as game-centric approaches a well as studies dealing with issues such as the political economy of war game production, educational uses and impacts of specific war-themed titles, player-responses to war games, critical analysis of specific war games or genres, and more.

Some travel funding is available to support PhD students wishing to present at the workshop: apply to Vít Šisler <mailto:mailto:(vsisler /at/ gmail.com)> with full costings of your travel by 31 August 2018.

Please submit abstracts of approx. 500 words (excl. references) and brief author bios and contact details to Holger Pötzsch <mailto:(holger.potzsch /at/ uit.no)> no later than *31 August 2018*.

Please do not hesitate to contact Holger Pötzsch <mailto:(holger.potzsch /at/ uit.no)> in case you should have comments or questions.

The workshop is partially supported by the Arts & Humanities Research Council (UK), the European Regional Development Fund-Project ‘Creativity and Adaptability as Conditions of the Success of Europe in an Interrelated World' (CZ.02.1.01/0.0/0.0/16_019/0000734), and Charles University (project Primus/Hum/03).