[ecrea] CFP Humanities Special Issue Media Feminisms

Thu Jul 12 20:32:10 GMT 2018

Humanities Journal Special Edition: Media Feminisms / Feminism’s Media: (Re)Framing Media Feminist Theory

The aim of this special edition of the Humanities is to (re)evaluate, (re)articulate and/or (re)introduce broad feminist viewpoints in contemporary media theory – with both ‘media’ and ‘theory’ broadly and interdisciplinarily conceptualised. Whilst the meticulous contemporary work in feminist media studies reflects a wide variety of theoretical viewpoints and makes use of an even wider variety of methodological tools, it is the editors’ view that the compulsory anchoring of contemporary feminist theory to existing socio-economic, political and, most importantly, disciplinary constraints prevents us from freeing up critical work in the field to address the challenges that are yet to come. Therefore, we invite colleagues working in media, literature, philosophy, politics, history, sociology, gender studies and related fields, to submit imaginative proposals that would articulate broad theoretical positions capable of framing feminism(s) and feminist media theory in the twenty-first century – or, indeed, question the very need for such ‘framing’. We also invite work that produces critical research through practice. Though we do not wish to limit the scope of contributions, we envision submissions broaching feminism through the following themes: Class consciousness Representation New materialisms Policy and/or the political economy of the media Aesthetics Visualisation
Mobilities
Sexuality
Transnationalism
Race and/or ethnonationalism
Age: discrimination and/or intergenerational activism
Abstracts should not exceed 400 words, and they should articulate a clear theoretical framework and proposed bibliography (the latter not included in the abstract word-limit). Completed contributions should not exceed 10,000 words (including notes and bibliography). For in-text referencing and bibliography please see the journal’s preferred style here: http://www.mdpi.com/journal/humanities/instructions
Deadlines:  Abstracts: 31 January 2019
Completed essays (those accepted): 30 June 2019
Please email your abstracts to: (MediaFeminisms /at/ brighton.ac.uk) FAO: the guest editors: Dr Theodore Koulouris (School of Media, University of Brighton)
Dr Patricia Prieto Blanco (School of Media, University of Brighton)
Dr Olu Jenzen (School of Media, University of Brighton)

See also the journal’s dedicated webpage: http://www.mdpi.com/journal/humanities/special_issues/media_feminism NB. The editors guarantee that there are no APCs payable by the authors.