[ecrea] Videoblogging Before YouTube | Institute of Network Cultures |

Tue Jun 19 18:30:02 GMT 2018

http://networkcultures.org/blog/publication/tod-27-videoblogging-before-youtube/

  Videoblogging Before YouTube

Theory on Demand #27  | Institute of Network Cultures |

A compellingly written and highly original study of the practices of the early-adopter video blogging community. This essential study will change the ways in which we think about past, present and future online creative communities and digital platforms.

– *Catherine Grant*, Birkbeck, University of London

A rich and illuminating narrative of the communities, aesthetics and technologies of videoblogging before YouTube. At a moment when the digital media imagination seems to have been captured by corporate behemoths, we need more stories like this.

– *Jean Burgess*, Queensland University of Technology, Australia

*About the book*
In /Videoblogging Before YouTube/, Trine Bjørkmann Berry offers a cultural history of online video, focusing on the critical moment when the internet moved from being a mostly textual medium to a truly multimedia one. Through a close analysis of the early videoblogging community and their creative practices, she argues that early in the new millennium a new cultural-technical media hybrid emerged. This coalesced around the short-form digital film whose aesthetic, technical form and content is a predecessor to, and anticipator of our current media ecology.

*Author*
Trine Bjørkmann Berry is a visiting researcher at the University of Sussex. She publishes on online video, digital culture and aesthetics. Her new research examines the history and practices of the video essay.

*Colophon*
Cover design: Katja van Stiphout. Design: Rosie Underwood. EPUB development: Rosie Underwood. Print on Demand. Publisher: Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam, 2018. ISBN: 978-94-92302-22-9.

Download for free from: http://networkcultures.org/blog/publication/tod-27-videoblogging-before-youtube/