[ecrea] CFP - Spotification of Popular Communication

Mon May 21 20:49:42 GMT 2018

*

Call for papers: The Spotification of popular communication

Popular Communication: The International Journal of Media and Culture

Editors: Patrick Burkart and Miyase Christensen

Guest editors: Cecilia Ferm Almqvist, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden and Patrick Burkart, Texas A&M University, USA

(Deadline: December 1, 2018)

This special issue considers the various meanings of the “Spotification” of music and other media. We are especially interested in Spotification in reference to the changes in media cultures and industries accompanying the transition to streaming media and media services. Streaming media services have become part of daily life all over the world, with Spotify, in particular, inheriting and reconfiguring characteristics of older ways of publishing, distributing, and consuming media.

We look to the broader community of music, media, and cultural researchers to spell out some of the implications of the Spotification of music and culture, including changes in personal media consumption and production, educational processes, and the work of media industries. Interdisciplinary scholarship on commercial digital distribution is needed more than ever to illuminate the qualitative changes to production, distribution, and consumption accompanying streaming music and television.

All papers with distinctive themes and arguments related to streamed music and meaning making will be welcomed for review. We are especially interested in receiving submissions from outside the U.S. and Europe. We welcome submissions which incorporate popular communication research from a range of areas, including:

- Global media

- Popular music

- Musical cultures

- Sound studies

- Media industries

- Gender and ethnicity of users and producers

- Advertising

- Electronic privacy

- Media piracy

- Philosophy and communication theory

The deadline for submissions is December 1, 2018. We seek contributions of papers no longer than 7,000 words, inclusive of abstract and references. The special issue is anticipated to publish in Winter, 2019, with final decisions on submissions sent out in the Fall of 2019.

Papers should be submitted using ScholarOne at http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/hppc20/current

Full instructions for authors, including APA 6th Edition style guidelines, can be found at the same page.

Correspondence and questions about this call for papers can be directed to Patrick Burkart ((pburkart /at/ tamu.edu)) and Cecilia Ferm Almqvist ((Cecilia.Ferm-Almqvist /at/ ltu.se)).