[ecrea] Participatory Media and Global Change - Research Workshop

Mon Apr 09 06:02:43 GMT 2018

Participatory Media and Global Change

The Centre for Global Media and Communication at SOAS, and the Programme for Screen and Cultural Studies at the University of Melbourne are please to present a co-hosted summer research workshop on Participatory Media and Global Change.

The notion of ‘participation’ retains a suggestion of locality and closeness. It turns our attention inward, toward contingent and located community practice. And yet quite conversely, the gaze of media and communication research today moves steadily outward, seeking new pathways for interrogating our ever more globally distributed society. Nevertheless, community participation remains an important aspect of much of our research, promising access to local and decentralised sources of knowledge, while offering a powerful resistance to ethnocentric closure.

Does a concept of ‘participation’ — with its ambitions for horizontal community engagement across social and geo-cultural place — still have a role in understanding the drivers of contemporary global cultures? If so, what approaches to participation might allow us to build new conceptual frameworks, to bridge ideas of local social action with ongoing critiques of global transformation?

This Workshop invites scholars and practitioners from a across a range of fields in media and cultural studies to discuss the ways that participation permeates the present, and future, of our collective research. Collaborators will be invited to briefly present their own ongoing work, before an open round-table discussion on participatory global cultures in the future of global communication scholarship.

If you are interested in collaborating with the event, please email Joshua McNamara ((joshua.mcnamara /at/ unimelb.edu.au)), along with a brief 200 word abstract of your work.

The Workshop will take place at SOAS, University of London, on 19th June 2018 (exact venue TBD).