[ecrea] CfP: PGR/ECR Conference of the Journal of Languages, Texts, and Society

Thu Mar 15 12:26:32 GMT 2018

  Conference of the Journal of Languages, Texts and Society

    Call for Papers

      Thursday 14th and Friday 15th June 2018, University of Nottingham

    Keynote Speakers: Geraldine Horan (UCL) and Islam Issa (BCU)

This conference, aimed at Postgraduate and Early Career Researchers and organised by the University of Nottingham’s Journal of Language, Texts and Society, seeks papers and posters on a wide range of topics related to the journal’s core themes. There will also be the opportunity to publish conference papers as articles in a special edition of the journal.

We welcome abstracts of up to 250 words and biographies of up to 50 words for conference papers of no more than 20 minutes or A2 posters related to the topic of the conference.

The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

  * Literary interventions: studying the ways in which literary texts
    intervene in their socio-political contexts
  * Translating cultures: focusing on translation, cultural transfer,
    language policy, image and identity construction
  * Performance con/texts: investigating relationships between
    performances and audiences
  * Texts in professional and educational contexts: language learning
    and teaching; professional communications in first, second or
    foreign languages
  * Innovative methods to investigate language and texts
  * ‘Resilience’: Bhamra, Dani, and Burnard (2011) define resilience as
    the ‘capability and ability of an element to return to a stable
    state after a disruption’. As part of the University of Nottingham’s
    interdisciplinary research framework theme of ‘resilience’, we
    invite responses on the conceptualisation of resilience in relation
    to any of the above topics or more generally explore how resilience
    has been captured in historical texts and archives, literature, art,
    and social expressions.

As a truly interdisciplinary journal, we welcome submissions not just from across the arts and humanities, but also from the sciences, medicine, law and other fields in line with our six key themes. For more information on the Research Priority Area and other projects, please visit the RPA website. For more information about the conference, please visit the Conference website.

Submit your abstract by Friday 23 March to (jltsconference2018 /at/ gmail.com)

We seek to inform all applicants by Friday 20 April 2018