[ecrea] LTA positions, Communication Studies, Concordia University

Fri Feb 16 22:42:43 GMT 2018

Limited Term Appointments - 2018-19
Department of Communication Studies
CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Arts and Science

The Department of Communication Studies, Concordia University, invites applications for 4 limited-term appointments (LTAs) in the following areas: Media Production (Intermedia and Moving Images), Theory and History of Communication, Public Discourse, and Global Screen and Cultural Studies.

Media Production (Intermedia and Moving Images)
We seek an individual to teach Intermedia (digital media creation, 3 sections) and Moving Images (video production & post-production, 2 sections) at the undergraduate level. The successful candidate will have an appropriate advanced terminal degree (MFA or PhD), an active research-creation practice and portfolio, and prior post-secondary teaching experience in a Humanities context.

Theory and History of Communication
We seek an individual to teach the following courses in our undergraduate and graduate programs:  Effective Communication Skills (2 sections), Perspectives on Information Society, Media and Critical Theory, Media and Cultural History, and Communication Theory and History (graduate-level). The successful candidate must have a PhD in Communication Studies or a cognate field, evidence of an active research profile in one of the above areas, and prior university teaching experience within a Humanities context.

Public Discourse
We seek an individual to teach the following courses in our undergraduate programs:  Propaganda (on-line, 2 sections), Media Genres, Theories of Public Discourse, Discourses of Dissent, and Communicative Performances and Interventions.  The successful candidate must have a PhD in Communication Studies or a cognate field, evidence of an active research profile in one of the above areas, and prior university teaching experience within a Humanities context.

Global Screen and Cultural Studies
We seek an individual to teach the following courses in our undergraduate program:  Visual Communication and Culture, Cultures of Globalization, Television Studies, Culture and Popular Art, Media Criticism, International Communication, and Selected Topics in Communication. The successful candidate must have a PhD in Communication Studies or a cognate field, evidence of an active research profile in one of the above areas, and prior university teaching experience within a Humanities context.

Applications include a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy/interests, and evidence of teaching effectiveness. Evidence of teaching effectiveness is the key attribute by which qualified candidates will be ranked. Candidates must include the names of three references.

These positions are subject to budgetary approval and department/unit need. Individuals holding LTAs may be reappointed, given continued funding, need, and job performance. Initial appointments and subsequent reappointments may not exceed 36 months or a span of three consecutive years. They are normally at the rank of Lecturer or Assistant Professor, beginning August 1, 2018 and ending May 14, 2019.

Applications must be received in the Department by no later than March 30, 2018.

Applications are to be sent (as a single PDF or Word document) to Donna Stewart at (donna.stewart /at/ concordia.ca) <mailto:(donna.stewart /at/ concordia.ca)>

Renewals of returning limited-term appointments are considered first. For inquiries, please contact:

Charles Acland
Chair, Department of Communication Studies (Acting)
(c.acland /at/ concordia.ca) <mailto:(c.acland /at/ concordia.ca)>

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for this position; however, Canadians and Permanent Residents will be given priority. Concordia University is strongly committed to employment equity within its community, and to recruiting a diverse faculty and staff. The University encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, members of sexual minorities, persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversification.