Archive for December 2018

[Commlist] CFP - Media Archaeology - Hands of Time: On Media Temporalities - Gorizia Spring School 2019

Fri Dec 14 22:15:19 GMT 2018

DEADLINE EXTENSION!

Media Archaeology Workshop – Hands of Time: On Media Temporalities
Film Forum -  XVII Magis International Film Studies Spring School
Gorizia, Università degli studi di Udine-Italy
March 23the and 26th 2019

Deadline extended to *December 21th, 2018*
Address questions and proposals to: (goriziafilmforum /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(goriziafilmforum /at/ gmail.com)>

Media Archaeology – Hands of Time: On Media Temporalities

Confirmed Keynote Speaker Prof. Wolfgang Ernst (Humboldt University of Berlin)

In the last three years, the Media Archaeology section of the MAGIS Spring School has explored the interrelationships between technology and the body; the notion of network for media-archaeological and media-ecological research; and the links between the media and politics from a media-archaeological perspective.
The 2019 edition will pivot on the notion of temporality.
As media scholar Timothy Scott Barker recently put it: “on both the micro scale of signal processing and the macro scale of human experience, the concept of time has become one of the central topics around which critical discussions of media and technology revolve” (Barker 2014, 1). Starting from this assumption, we expect to investigate the relationships between historiography and time in film and media studies. In particular, we are interested in how film and media histories and archaeologies produce their own “archive”, referring also to the ways in which the media historian/archaeologist takes into account the specific materiality of her/his research objects and its impact on the historical/archaeological temporal dimensions of film and media. By questioning this wide issue, we want to call attention to the “operational scale” while excavating the media: drawing on the notion of “radical media-archaeology” developed by Wolfgang Ernst, we want to highlight the micro-processes that occur in the domain of film and media (Ernst 2011, Ernst 2017). We are interested in how media technologies process signals, measure time and produce temporalities. Moreover, we aim to reflect on the “micro-processes happening on a technical level that are very fast and very short in scale”, and on the ways to resist “historical time – that is, the temptation of putting old technologies into a historical context”, in order to “make the medium speak in its radical presence” (Ernst 2017, online). This mostly means to investigate the “operationality” of digital media and the role of micro-processing in undermining the notion of linear history-telling, though we also intend to extend these lines of reasoning to the analogue media: what about the operationality of the film grain? Or the wires and cables in a radio? Or the electromagnetic fields in the analogue video technologies? More broadly, how does each micro-process at the core of the different media-technologies shape a specific notion of macro-history, which lies beyond the linearity of the “traditional” historiographical categories? Potential proposals might address the following issues, albeit not exclusively:

•The role of historiography in shaping the media-archaeological discourse;
•The influence of the “Ginzburg-White debate” on media archaeology;
•Historiography, media archaeology and memory studies for historical purposes;
•Micro-histories of media technology;
•Micro-temporalities and macro-history;
•Analogue operationalities;
•Digital operationalities;
•History and time structures of media technologies;
•Media micro-processing;
•The production of history between analogue and digital media technologies;
•Remediation in film and media laboratories;
•Materiality, temporalities and visual culture: from infrastructures to media representations.

The conference fee is €150.