Archive for March 2018

[ecrea] Two vacancies in Germany: Science Communication Research Associates (3 and 4 years)

Sat Mar 10 11:33:15 GMT 2018

Two vacancies in Germany: Science Communication Research Associates (3 and 4 years)

In the context of starting two new international research projects this summer, we are again staffing several positions. The two vacancies I would like to share today, are in the highest pay-scheme for Researchers in German universities, i.e. classic post-doc positions, although a PhD is not necessarily required if research and practical skills and experience can be proven otherwise. As always, our focus on applied research, requires experience in both scholarship and practice. Excellent English language skills are also necessary because you would be expected to contribute to our3-year Science Communication degree programme. Our inquiry-driven and research-led approach to teaching means that all of our students have the opportunity to be involved in our research. All team members in our department are strongly encouraged to collaborate with colleagues from several other areas of scicomm research in the department, and join us in our CPD training activities across the world. N.B. that our International University does not require any knowledge of German. Applications by email first are perfectly sufficient; you can always send your paperwork at a later point if invited to an interview. In German academia, scholars usually apply with a detailed motivation letter and a cv (normally including a portrait pic); some applicants add publications or other scanned documents, e.g. a PhD certificate.

1) http://bit.ly/SCR-18-2
Together with a global network of partner institutions from Ireland to Japan, and from Sweden to South Africa, with UNESCO as a central player, wewill investigate and experiment comparatively, how more transdisciplinary approaches in science policy can foster a more 'upstream' form of communication. By analysing and comparing the different practices and policiesworldwide, we intend to build a network for mutual, trans-cultural learning. We are expecting from applicants to be familiar with the European paradigm of "RRI" (Responsible Research and Innovation), as we have investigated it for more than two years now in Europe's largest science communication project, NUCLEUS. To some extent you would contribute to sustainingour efforts from this project and lift it onto a fully-global level. At the heart of our research are the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the role which they (could, should, and do) play in research and innovation environments. The new Research Associate (m/f) in Science Communication & Science Policy should start working with us no later than in June 2018. Ideally you would have pertinent work experience of at least three years in stakeholder management, e.g. upstream public engagement activities; experience with quantitative and qualitative social science research methods, including inferential statistics; expertise in political communication, e.g. science policy advice / technology assessment / science diplomacy.

2) http://bit.ly/SCR-18-1
Together with partners from Denmark, France, Israel, Italy, Portugal, Spain, and the UK, we will spend four years on applying Stakeholder Theory to analyse and optimise the diffusion of sustainable water management technologies in different test-sites around the world. The project is highly inter- and transdisciplinary with partners from engineering to social sciences, and from entrepreneurs to artists. The new  Research Associate in Science Communication & Stakeholder Management should start working with us no later than in June 2018. Just as for the vacancy above, you would ideally have pertinent work experience of at least three years in public engagement; experience with quantitative and qualitative social science research methods, including inferential statistics; expertise in political communication, e.g. science policy advice / technology assessment / science diplomacy.

Applications by 19th March 2018 to our HR department ((recruitment /at/ hsrw.eu)), and ideally cc to me.

Rhine-Waal is Germany's first fully international university. All of the degree programmes in our faculty are in English, and 80% of our students are international. This diversity also guides our approach in research and teaching: being comparative about the different systems of science, media, policy, etc. Our campus is located in the heart of Europe, right on the border between The Netherlands and Germany, half-way between Amsterdam and Cologne, or Brussels and Munster, at the foot of Cleves castle.

Two more vacancies will go online before the end of the month, one is a mixture of applied research and practice, the other about project management / administration.