Archive for January 2018

[ecrea] IJoC Publishes Special Section on Digital Traces in Context

Mon Jan 29 23:52:11 GMT 2018

International Journal of Communication

Publishes a Special Section on
Digital Traces in Context

Wherever we are, whatever we do, living in a media saturated social world we
leave ‘footprints’ of our media use that constitute an archive of
‘digital traces.’ But how can we analyze adequately these digital
traces? How can we contextualize them—theoretically and methodologically
as well as empirically?
In this Special Section on Digital Traces in Context by international
experts in digital media, datafication and digital methods, guest-edited by
professors Andreas Hepp, Andreas Breiter and Thomas Friemel, explores the
challenges involved when putting digital traces into context. These authors
discuss, on the one hand, the necessity to rethink media and communications
theory when it comes to ‘vanity metrics,’ ‘media analytics,’ and
‘infrastructure’ while on the other, they reflect on various approaches
to putting digital traces into context—and the methodological differences
implied by the variety of available platforms such as Google Maps, Twitter,
Facebook, or the ecosystem of Apple’s App Store. Furthermore, this Special
Section reflects on forms of agency when it comes to digital traces such as
critical data practices, software development, and various forms of
self-tracking. In a concluding commentary, economic implications of digital
traces are discussed alluding to the possible emergence of a new turn of
capitalism.
We invite you to read these 15 articles that published in the International
Journal of Communication on January 29, 2018.  Available at
http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/index

Digital Traces in Context: An Introduction
Andreas Hepp, Andreas Breiter, Thomas Friemel

Otherwise Engaged: Otherwise Engaged: Social Media from Vanity Metrics to
Critical Analytics
Richard Rogers
 100 Billion Data Rows per Second: 100 Billion Data Rows per Second: Media
Analytics in the Early 21st Century
Lev Manovich

Google Maps as Cartographic Infrastructure: From Participatory Mapmaking to
Database Maintenance
Jean-Christophe Plantin
 Political Agency, Digital Traces and Bottom-Up Data Practices
Stefania Milan

Tweets Are Not Created Equal. A Platform Perspective on Social Media Metrics
Carolin Gerlitz, Bernhard Rieder

Reuniting a Divided Public? Tracing the TTIP Debate on Twitter and in
Traditional Media
Gerret von Nordheim, Karin Boczek, Lars Koppeers, Elena Erdmann
 >From “Knowledge Brokers” to Opinion Makers: How Physical Presence
Affected Scientists’ Twitter Use During the COP21 Climate Change
Conference
Stefanie Walter, Fenja De Silva-Schmidt, Michael Brüggemann
 Social Media Giveth, Social Media Taketh Away: Facebook, Friendships and
APIs
Bernie Hogan
 Unraveling the App Store: Toward an Interpretative Perspective on Tracing
Tilo Grenz, Heiko Kirschner

Self-Tracking Data as Digital Traces of Identity: A Theoretical Analysis of
Contextual Factors of Self-Observation Practices
Bernadette Kneidinger-Müller
 Personal Data Contexts, Data Sense and Self-Tracking Cycling
Deborah Lupton, Sarah Pink, Christine Heyes LaBond, Shanti Sumartojo
 Digital Traces and Personal Analytics: iTime, Self-Tracking, and the
Temporalities of Practice Martin Hand, Michelle Gorea
 Appropriating Digital Traces of Self-Quantification: Contextualizing
Pragmatic and Enthusiast Self-Trackers
Ulrike Gerhard, Andreas Hepp
 Tracing Capitalism’s Turn to Data: Or, Contextualizing Daily Life’s New
Data “Context” — Commentary
Nick Couldry
     Larry Gross
Editor

Arlene Luck
Managing Editor

Andreas Hepp, Andreas Breiter and Thomas Friemel
Guest Editors
International Journal of Communication (IJoC)
USC Annenberg Press
University of Southern California
http://ijoc.org/