[ecrea] Temporary Lectureship in Sound Design practice

Sun Aug 06 21:26:35 GMT 2017

Lecturer in Sound Design 0.6 FTE (Fixed term - 10 months)
Job reference: REQ0504
Application closing date: 18/08/2017
Location: London
Salary: £35,302 - £41,481 (pro rata)
Job category/type: Academic
Link to Role Descriptor: http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/hrjobsp/REQ0504%20JD.pdf

At London South Bank University, we are expanding our teaching team for BA/BSc Music and Sound Design, and are currently seeking to appoint a highly capable and experienced practice-oriented lecturer who is both a good communicator and who also has an extensive network of contacts in industry. The role requires an in depth understanding of sound production, and experience of teaching in a studio-based environment. Skills including Ableton & Pro Tools DAW Software, experience of Max/MSP software, Solid State Logic AWS analogue mixing experience (or equivalent professional mixing console) would be an advantage.

The successful candidate will join an enthusiastic and dynamic team involved in researching immersive sound disciplines and we offer the first Dolby Surround Sound Studio in Higher Education. The Course Director is Justin Randell who has worked with Dolby, as well as with established artists, such as Aphex Twin and Trevor Jackson. Professor Hillegonda Rietveld, who is also a member of the team, publishes extensively in the field of sonic culture, especially work related to electronic dance music; she is Chair of the Sonic Research Group, and is the (outgoing) Chief Editor of IASPM @ Journal, the open access online journal of the International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM).

The subject area of Music and Sound Design is situated in the Division of Creative Technologies, School of Arts and The Creative Industries. Allied subject areas in the School are Film Making, Digital Design, Visual Effects and Game Development. The School opened a new suite of film, photography, sound studios and a newsroom in March 2016. A further new building will be opening in 2020 to house the School, which is rapidly expanding.

London South Bank University is rated Silver in the Teaching Excellence Framework, and the University is one of The Guardian top 100 universities, and was named Entrepreneurial University of the Year at the 2016 Times Higher Education Awards.

LSBU has a vibrant research culture spanning both applied and pure research. The Sonic Research Group provides the main locus for research activity in the area of Music and Sound Design. The School also houses Centre for the Study of the Networked Image and Centre for Digital Storytelling. Our partnership with Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada complements collaborative work with other universities internationally. We will also be hosting the Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association 2018 conference: http://www.meccsa.org.uk/

If you are interested in working with us on a 0.6 10-month contract, please contact Course Director Justin Randell: (justin.randell /at/ lsbu.ac.uk) We can arrange a tour round the Elephant Studios and an informal chat.