[ecrea] Fan Studies Network Australasia 2017 conference CfP

Wed Jul 26 06:22:32 GMT 2017

_Call for Papers_

_Fan Studies Network Australasia 2017_

30 November - 1 December 2017

University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Keynote Speaker: Prof. Matt Hills, University of Huddersfield (UK)

We are pleased to announce a CFP for the first Fan Studies Network Australasia conference to be held at the University of Wollongong, Australia from 30 November – 1 December 2017 hosted by the Research Centre for Culture Texts and Creative Industries (CTC). As research and interest on fandom gather momentum in Australia, New Zealand and Asia at large, the Fan Studies Network is very keen to foster new connections and resources. This inaugural conference for scholars based in the region is the first step in establishing an Australasian branch of the FSN.

We invite abstracts of no more than 300 words for individual 20 minute papers that address any aspect of fandom or fan studies. We also welcome submissions for pre-constituted panels (for 3-4 speakers/papers). We encourage all those engaged in fan studies as well as those existing members of the network to submit proposals for presentations on, but not limited to, the following possible topics:

– Fandom in Asia, Australia and/or New Zealand

– Non-Western fan cultures

– Producer-audience interactions

– Activism and fandom

– Ethics in fan studies

– Defining fandom

– Anti-Fandom and Non-Fandom

– Fan use of social media platforms

– Fandom (and) controversies

– The future of fan studies

Please send any inquiries and/or abstracts to (fsnaustralasia /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(fsnaustralasia /at/ gmail.com)>by *25^th August 2017*.

Conference organisers: Dr. Bertha Chin, Dr. Renee Middlemost, Prof. Sue Turnbull, Dr. Ika Willis

W: https://fanstudies.org/| FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fanstudies/__

T: @FSNAusAsia (hashtag #FSNA2017) | DL: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/fanstudies

_About the Fan Studies Network:_

Since March 2012, the Fan Studies Network has provided a friendly space with which scholars from all disciplines who are interested in fans and fan culture can connect, share resources, and develop their research ideas. In June 2017, the network will hold its fifth annual conference at the University of Huddersfield, UK. Each year has seen the network grow exponentially, as the mailing list and conference attract more scholars interested in fan studies from all over the world.